Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i want a linux live disk

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi i'm looking for linux live disk

i wan't something with preinstalled

Firewall
antivirus

and other stuff

i need something extremely secure i want to run it form disk

i looked and found a tons of stuff i didn't understand anything

i'm using Dr web live disk now

it's cool but as i said i need it
with firewall and stuff

any thoughts ???

Edit: Moved topic from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

If you mean anti-virus based cd's there is a good review on Dedoimedo here.

If it's Linux distros you're after try here.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#3 ranget

ranget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

idon't know

i need something with a preinstalled program on the disk to boot from

#4 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

If by program, you mean an antivirus disk that scans your computer without loading Windows, that's the top link. If by program you mean an OS, like what Microsoft Windows is, but safer, you want a Linux distro. The distros are very secure compared to Windows, even without an antivirus or firewall at all. However, if you really want one, you can get ClamAV for it.

The Dr. Web Live CD is an antivirus disk, if that helps.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

What is it you want to do with the live cd? Use it to read online email? Watch videos? Cruise the web? Banking?

Or do you want it to help repair a Windows OS?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 ranget

ranget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

surfing net
banking not really banking but the same security i use if i had a banking acc
videos
and some book reading

but i really need it to be secure
like it has Firewall + antivirus

Edited by ranget, 27 April 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

Tomorrow the latest Ubuntu will be released.....11.04....Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

Live CDs are good to help recover files, banking, temporary use on the web and check your hardware to see if
it is compatible with the Linux before installing. Another reason is to see if the USER is compatible. Using a live CD is much slower than an installed OS.

The reason it is very safe to use is because nothing is stored on your computer. Nothing. The live CD only uses
your RAM/ memory. As soon as you exit the live CD, all is erased. Gone. Kaput. Nothing is written to the HDD.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 ranget

ranget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

does it have any utilities on the live disk

or just a slim version of Ubuntu

i want it to read PDF too

#9 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

The Live CD IS Ubuntu in its entirety. You get the full OS. The only downside is a bit of a performance loss... And, also, any applications that don't come with it to start have to be installed all over again once you turn the computer off. It comes with most of what you need, but just keep that in mind if you pick anything up from the Ubuntu Software Center...

Don't worry, you can still use the internet, play music, read PDFs, watch videos, etc. without anything extra. If you really like it, though, you should think about putting it on your hard disk alongside your other OS.

#10 ranget

ranget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

ok thanks will use ubuntu when it's out

for Now i will try Opensuse

i don't know

but i liked the logo " newt " or chameleon

#11 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

:3 The chameleon's so cute. I wonder if he has a name...

But, yeah, the very operating system I'm typing this on just happens to be Ubuntu. I've got a trojan on Windows, so I'm using it for safety... Trust me, it's pretty secure for stuff like that. Hope I helped out. :)

#12 blueicetwice

blueicetwice

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

If you mean anti-virus based cd's there is a good review on Dedoimedo here.

If it's Linux distros you're after try here.

Mr Fingerz, that is an excellent link!   Hear is another one that may also be useful...

I used it to choose about four OS for future considerations..

http://livecdlist.com/

Edited by blueicetwice, 03 July 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#13 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Lightweight Portable Security -  (LPS) creates a secure end node from trusted media on almost any Intel-based computer (PC or Mac). LPS boots a thin Linux operating system from a CD or USB flash stick without mounting a local hard drive. Administrator privileges are not required; nothing is installed. The LPS family was created to address particular use cases: LPS-Public is a safer, general-purpose solution for using web-based applications

http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

- or -

Tails is a live DVD or live USB that aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity.
It helps you to:

• use the Internet anonymously almost anywhere you go and on any computer:
    all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network;
  • leave no trace on the computer you're using unless you ask it explicitly;
  • use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, email and instant messaging.

https://tails.boum.org/index.en.html

#14 addygard

addygard

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

I hope it's okay to post in this topic, although I see it was started a couple of years ago. 

I would like to ask if anyone can tell me what I did wrong and how I can fix it because I messed up my live slacko puppy cd (5.3.3).  Some helpers on BC helped me and my daughter create the cd last year to do a major restore of my computer.  And I still use it from time to time. 

However, we have a non-working computer. . .by that, I mean it powers on, but that's it---nothing happens on the monitor.  Anyway, I thought maybe it would work with the cd, but it didn't.  The cd tray has to be manually opened.  Then when it's closed it makes this noise like it's trying to open, but can't, and it keeps doing that.  So I'm not sure it's even reading the cd.

So I thought I would try to save puppy from my cd to a flash drive to try on the non-working computer, and thought I was following the instructions in the window at the time of shutdown where it said if wanting to save it to a cd or flash drive, click save.  So with the flash drive plugged in, I clicked save.

Now my cd is messed up.  What comes up on the screen when it first starts loading from the cd is the name I had used to save it to the flash drive.  There's no puppy on the flash drive,  And all my graphics are messed up. . .the icons only show little yellow triangles.  And it's saving my previous sessions, with a history of my browsing and everything!. . .so that each time it asks if I want to restore my previous session.  Is that being saved on the cd or the hard drive??  I totally messed up and don't know how to fix it. 

Any help out there for this dumb mistake?  Thanks!

Edited by addygard, 30 August 2013 - 08:39 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#15 addygard

addygard

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

I don't need an answer to the above post.  I found---though not for lack of trying---the saved Linux file on my C drive. I know I did a Search for it at least 3 or 4 different ways without finding it.  Then I was randomly opening folders and looking at all the files in the C drive. And there it was!  So I deleted it!

But I do still have a question . . .   I need someone knowledgeable to tell me if the saved Linux that I just now deleted is it truly gone.  I need to be sure that If I load my newly downloaded live cd, which my daughter created for me on HER computer, there's not some little piece of the old saved Linux still floating around in my computer somewhere and that it can't hook up with the new live cd I'm using and read my secure information and passwords from it.  I need to be sure I can safely and securely login to my email account, pay my bills and browse, even though my computer is currently infected??  I've got a topic going in the "Am I infected?" section and hope to have it all cleared up soon. 

Anyway, thanks in advance for the answer to my new question.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users