Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't access the router's web interface on an active connection

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

Hi...My problem is this: I live in a shared house and my rent includes internet connection where I connect wirelessly to a superhub (netgear) router. My connection is fine. However the router doesn't show up in Network and I cannot access the web interface through my browser (the connection expires). I have the passwords and all but not physical access to the router.
This was not always the case but it's been like this for a couple of weeks now. I can see all other computers connected, media devices and even Internet gateway device in Network but the router has disappeared. Is there anything I can do on my computer to access the web interface?
I have windows 7 x64.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

Generally a reboot of the router solves the connectivity problem. If all the connections to the router are active at the same time it will not allow you to connect to the router set-up interface. Since you don't have access to the physical router try turning off other network devices and see if you can connect. Are you connecting to the Router Via wireless or Ethernet? What model is the Router? Do you know if the default IP address of the router interface was changed?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

You see, the strange thing is that my internet connection is fine. I just can't access the web interface. The router/modem is (UK) virgin's super hub (I think it's Netgear CG3101D, not 100% sure, see link below). I am connected wirelessly and I used to be able to access the WI (until recently), no mater how many computers where connected to the router. Now I cannot access it even if my computer is the only one connected. I don't think there was any changes to the default IP otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=345044&RELATED_ARTICLE_CLICK=1&RELATED_ARTICLE_NAME=What%20is%20the%20Virgin%20Media%20Super%20Hub?

Edited by Ket, 26 April 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

Any ideas?

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Generally a reboot of the router solves the connectivity problem.

you have to hard boot. physically power off, wait, power on

#6 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

you have to hard boot. physically power off, wait, power on

Unfortunately the guy who has the router in his room will not be around for the next month, so I don't have access to the router itself. I was wondering if there is something I could do from my computer. I guess not...
So, I wait till he returns before I can access the WI...
Thank you anyway.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

something you can do from your computer ? guess what. a computer will never drive a nail. a computer will never change a flat tire on a lonely road. and as much as computers can tell us about the country's electrical grid there will always be a manual disconnect somewhere.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

something you can do from your computer ? guess what. a computer will never drive a nail. a computer will never change a flat tire on a lonely road. and as much as computers can tell us about the country's electrical grid there will always be a manual disconnect somewhere.

That's not very helpful <_<

There may be another reason you can't log in. Go to the command prompt (in the search box in the start menu type command) and type ipconfig /all. I need your IPV4 address and Subnet Mask. The reason being if the network default address of 192.168.0.0 was changed to something else and your PC has been assigned an address on another network then the router 192.168.0.1 you won't be able to log in. While your at the command prompt try and ping the router with the command ping 192.168.0.1. Make sure proxies are not enabled. If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN....".

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

The IPv4 address is 192.168.0.109 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the superhub's default address is 192.168.0.1
I pinged 192.168.0.1 and got the following results:

Posted Image

"Use a proxy server for your LAN...." was unchecked.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:08 AM

Can you try another browser? If that doesn't work then were back to a manual reboot unless I can find something else to try.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

sorry if you felt i was ranting cyber. sometimes we think we are being funny when in fact we are not.

Maybe what I should have said is, if we thought outside the box, you could go to the electrical service panel and turn off the breaker supplying power to your friends room, wait, turn back on.

also i can find no info at virgin site for connecting via web browser as username and password are pre-installed and activation is done on virgin web site.

some modem/routers will not allow access to their software wirelessly. for those you must connect with a cable. are you sure you could access it before on the wireless ?

#12 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Maybe what I should have said is, if we thought outside the box, you could go to the electrical service panel and turn off the breaker supplying power to your friends room, wait, turn back on.

That's not a bad idea. I'm just worried that if something goes wrong and doesn't come back right, I might spoil it for the others with whom I share the connection. Also we are not like close friends. We just rent rooms in the same house...

also i can find no info at virgin site for connecting via web browser as username and password are pre-installed and activation is done on virgin web site.

some modem/routers will not allow access to their software wirelessly. for those you must connect with a cable. are you sure you could access it before on the wireless ?

Yes, I have been always connecting wirelessly and before I was able to reach the WI (I have forwarded ports from there). Till one day that changed... :(

Can you try another browser? If that doesn't work then were back to a manual reboot unless I can find something else to try.

I tried both IE and Firefox and still I cannot connect. I troubleshoot-ed it in IE and got the following message:

Posted Image

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:33 AM

Either you neighbor changed something before he left or as cyber says you need a manual reboot. Does landlord have a master key ?

#14 revolt76

revolt76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

Maybe you cannot access the gui from a wireless connection.Some routers have that option, only with a cable connection.

#15 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Either you neighbor changed something before he left or as cyber says you need a manual reboot. Does landlord have a master key ?

I really appreciate your efforts to help me. I sense you would kick his door down if you could just to do this bloody restart :lol:
I am subletting the room from this guy and I rent my internet connection from him. So let's say that this is not an option at the moment. I'd rather wait till he comes back

Maybe you cannot access the gui from a wireless connection.Some routers have that option, only with a cable connection.

As I said, I used to be able to connect to the WI and suddenly I cannot anymore. That's why I thought to start this thread because I don't think any of the router settings have changed, so I was hoping I could resolve it by doing something from my computer, like flushing the DNS or something.... But it appears that only by resetting the router I will be able again to connect. Or maybe I drive a nail on my housemate's lock and use my computer as a hammer :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users