Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus started as XP Total Security now Windows Security Alerts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dwakefield

dwakefield

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

I recently inadvertently let in a virus that called itself XP Total Security. I am using Windows XP and was using Microsoft Security Essentials for Protection.OOPS!
After using another computer to search Bleeping Computer Forums, I managed to download RKill and Malwarebytes. I have ran both several times. Malwarebytes seems to remove the virus but when I re-boot it is back but with a different name. Now it is Windows Security Alerts. It has also hijacked by browser and will not let me do normal searches in my browser(Firefox) without re-directing to various other sites. I'm not sure what else to try. Now whatever the virus is - it is affecting non-web usage. While working on documents in Word or Excel, my computer will freeze and the only way I can move is to power down and then power back up.

Edited by dwakefield, 26 April 2011 - 02:23 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dwakefield

dwakefield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have also now tried Spybot and AVG. Even though they say they find trojans to remove - I am still having massive problems. Most of the time I can not log onto the internet and when I try to use System Restore - it either doesn't open or I get a pop up box that says System Recovery will not help me and then it exits. Please can anyone help?

#3 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi dwakefield,

Here you go http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011 Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users