Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD while loading MUP.sys

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mungle

Mungle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

Hi there.

I appear to be getting a BSOD only when I load Safemode. I need to use safemode as I need to run a tool to remove a worm. Yes, a HDD worm. Only problem is, it's restricting me from loading into safemode, by somehow corrupting MUP.sys.

I can happily get into Normal windows with no problems, only problems I do face, is the automatic shutdown of applications, which is what the worm/virus is doing. I heard you can somehow replace MUP.sys? So it isn't corrupted, but what I want to know Is why a BSOD only on Safemode.

I've tried using BlueScreenView because Being a computer technician I keep up to date with software that could help me when fixing PCs. Only problem is, windows hasn't started for it to create a Minidump file. So I am unable to check the parameters of the Bluescreen and identify the problem.

If you need any other information, please let me know

System specs;
CPU: Intel Pentium E6300 2.83GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2 Geil
GFX: Nvidia 9800GT 1GB
FSB: 1066MHz
OPS: Windows XP Professional SP3 x86

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2011 - 10:22 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Try dropping the CPU back to default CPU Clock speed, and see if it continues.

#3 Mungle

Mungle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

Hi there.
My CPU clock is 2.80Ghz, but actual clock is 2.83GHz. It's not over clocked, it's just how it is specified.
many thanks

Edited by Mungle, 26 April 2011 - 09:48 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

Well...aside from assumptions...can you post the exact error message and the circumstances which lead to it?

My impression is that you attempt to boot into safe mode and get an error message of some sort...is this correct?

<<I need to use safemode as I need to run a tool to remove a worm. Yes, a HDD worm. Only problem is, it's restricting me from loading into safemode, by somehow corrupting MUP.sys.>>

I find it unusual to conceive of malware that only impacts safe mode...what visible signs did you encounter...that made you think you have a malware situation?

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

Their are 2 E6300's the 1.86Ghz version and the 2.8Ghz Version for which you have. Sorry for assuming that you had the 1.86Ghz version.

#6 Mungle

Mungle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

@Hamluis

I get a blue screen but without bluescreenview I am unable to tell you the bluescreen message, I have run Chkdsk /f and the problem still persists.
The only visable sign I got is that I know my system is infected as it has been running funny ever since I had my first installation of Windows on here.

And as we know HDD worms do not get removed from hard-drives by simply doing a format. My last OS was destroyed by the virus in the space of 3 mins. This time, I think without the virus, and just the worm, it is unable to actually impact my system in such a way to make it un-usable. MUP.sys isn't actually a required driver and so I can actually remove it if I wanted to, but it could cause system instablility, and I am not willing to risk a full re-install again.

@Cyrptodan
It's okay man, the E6300 is technically a 2.8Ghz processor, but it is in actual fact a 2.83Ghz processor.

Many thanks

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

Try running a chkdsk /r

#8 Mungle

Mungle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:40 PM

The chkdsk /f didn't find any errors with the disc, so I would think a check disc repair would be not of much use?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

I had to run chkdsk /f first before chkdsk /r would fix errors on my wife's lap top.

#10 Mungle

Mungle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

Sorry I'm not sure I quite understand, are you saying that after running a chkdsk /f and then a chkdsk /r would repair problems the chkdsk /f wouldn't find? As I'm sure they use the same protocol, but the chkdsk /r repairs all the errors it finds, even though it could take 20 hours :D

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

Well thats what happened to my wife's computer. I even had to run chkdsk /f with the drive hooked up to my main computer. Then i had to run chkdsk /r twice so my wife's drive could boot up.

#12 Mungle

Mungle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Well it's not a booting issue, as i can boot up in normal windows without a problem, and don't have any issues with the actual OS itself, it's just something to do with the safemode system. As it only bluescreens then. I will get you a picture of what the bluescreen looks like. Please bare with me. xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users