Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffinc

jeffinc

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

a month or so ago I found out on this site how to move files on my FULL C drive to my enormous D drive. Since I did that I have more space on C, but it won't defrag completely. Is this something I did? Also while originally trying to free space on C I compressed the files. It didn't do much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

Run a disk cleanup and ensure you have atleast 15% free space to defrag. Did u run a chkdsk before defragmenting? Also the built in defragmenter will not defrag ur paging file and MFT. Maybe some program is writing to disk while the defrag was running and those files dint get defragmented, better to use safe mode.
Or else download this- faster, free and does a great job
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

#3 babbler

babbler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Since I used this tweak on my WinXP Pro computer nearly a year ago, my defragment stays very, very low.
Whenever I 'Analyze' my drives, they are never higher than 2% fragmented, and consequently I only
defrag every month or so. After defraggin, they always go down to 0% defragmentation.It's a bit time consuming, but it worked wonders for my computer, which
previously fragmented as high as 17%, and I could NEVER get it below 6%.
In XP, go to Control Panel>System>"Advanced" tab and under "Performance", click "Settings".
Go to "Advanced" tab and under "Virtual Memory", click "Change".
Select the drive letter that displays the Page File size.
Select "No paging file" and hit "Set"
Next, select the separate hard drive/partition.
Select "Custom Size" and set the "Initial Size" and the "Maximum" equal to
1.5 to 2 times greater than the total of system's RAM.
(For 512MB RAM, set the two values at 1024MB etc)
Hit "Set" and "OK" after you're done.
Reboot when prompted.
Now, defrag the drive/partition your Operating System is on. It's best to do this in
safe mode, and it might take overnight if your system is badly fragmented.
After defrag is completed, go into "Virtual Memory" again, per the directions listed
earlier, and select the drive letter that displays the Page File size.
Select "No paging file" and hit "Set".
Now select the drive that originally had the paging file.
Select "Custom Size" and set the Initial and Maximum sizes equal to what you
set them at when you moved the paging file to the other hard drive/partition.
Hit "Set" and "OK" after you're done
Reboot when prompted.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

while originally trying to free space on C I compressed the files.

Don't use file compression, particularly not on your C: drive which contains all your operating system files. It will only slow up your system.

As previous posters pointed out Defrag is best done 1. In Safe Mode, 2. after a Scandisk (chkdsk) and it may take some hours (at least at first).

What drive sizes are you talking about?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users