Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded Laptop HD, now XP won't install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 InfiniteDrive06

InfiniteDrive06

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first-time poster.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-S460 Laptop. It's not my main pc, but it's still quick and gets the job done. I wanted to use it for some music recording but the HD was almost full. I decided to buy a new one and use the old one as an external whenever I needed it.

It came with a 80GB 5400RPM HD so I went out and bought a 500GB 7200RPM HD - This one exactly

The BIOS recognizes the 500GB, but when I go to install XP, after Creating a partition. it doesn't matter whether I choose the quick or normal formatting, it comes up with this error:

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer or SCSI adapter documentation for more information."

It's a legit XP CD - Laptop was working fine before the switch - Ram was upgraded recently as well.

Any ideas? Does the BIOS limit HD capacity??

Thanks in advance, guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

Well, it's very possible the drive is bad. You can visit the website of the hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to cd, boot to it and run it. But if I were you I'd return the drive. I'd also replace it with a better known name brand (ie, Seagate, WD, Maxtor, etc).

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

What version of Windows XP is this, because you will need Windows XP SP1 or greater to install this on a computer with a SATA Controller.

If it is a newer version of XP then the issue could be as Allen posted a bad hard drive.

#4 InfiniteDrive06

InfiniteDrive06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

It's Windows XP SP3. Also besides me wondering if the BIOS is limiting the HD capacity, can the greater RPM have anything to do with it?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

No

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have been doing technical support for a long time and I have never heard of a Spinpoint hard drive before.
Micro Center has a tendency to sell off brand products. Which is why I wont buy from them.
Sure the price is cheap but you are getting a cheap drive. Caveat Emptor!

If I were you, I would do what Allen suggests.
Return it and get a Western Digital or Seagate.
Both of those companies make good drives and they stand by their products.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

FWIW: Spinpoint is a Samsung :)...Samsung Spinpoint, like Seagate Barracuda, Hitachi Deskstar, etc.

Louis

#8 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

Western Digital or Seagate, and maybe Maxtor would be a great choice, any comments?. Anyways, allow me to ask a stupid question, which supposedly there is no such thing as a stupid question, but when you are installing the new HD with XP, by any chance do you have the old drive connected externally? Shot in the dark, but I have seen this error once, and it was while the original drive was still connected.

#9 InfiniteDrive06

InfiniteDrive06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

Nope, there is nothing else connected to the laptop. I wish there was though so you could have fixed my problem, haha.

I've used many Spinpoint drives before, and haven't had any problems yet. Look at the reviews for them on Newegg. They aren't bad.
I'm going to try the HD utility and see what happens. Burning the ISO as we speak.
Thanks for all the replies guys! Keep them coming =]

#10 InfiniteDrive06

InfiniteDrive06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hard drive is 100% OK according to the tests it ran. I ran all the tests, including when it can do a semi-surface scan or full, I chose full.

Any other ideas?? I really need to get this thing moving =(
I was reading about LBA on old laptops. Are you guys sure the BIOS can't limit Hard Drive size? Does the fact that it recognizes it in the BIOS mean everything should be fine? This is driving me bananas =/

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

Does the BIOS see the drive as 500Gig or 137Gig?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users