Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whacked By MS Recovery Virus. Some fixed覧Not All.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

04-26-11 / E. Coast USA!

Greeting to All:

As a newbie, I'm ready to share the following XP Pro virus issue(s). I've been able to fix a lot of the mess on my own.
But, need help on other things that may be beyond my scope capabilities at this time.

To make it easier for all, I propose to show the following re-to my situation:

1. A brief summary of the issue(s).
2. Some basic info about my PC system / browser / Security Software, etc.
3. What free trial prog I downloaded & used from this site BEFORE joining BC Forum.

1. SUMMARY OF VIRUS ISSUE:

> I got whacked last week by that WINDOWS RECOVERY virus deal while somehow browsing FTP sites I own and use.
> Splash screen of this console would not go away (despite many attempts in SAFE/COMMAND PROMPT MODE).
> In SAFE MODE, SR (*System Recovery) bannered as being shut off and remains so at this writing.
> Scan Disk in SAFE MODE was successful.
> Meanwhile, Desktop remained solid blue background color with my usual population of shortcut icons gone or hidden.
> HOWEVER, My Computer / My Docs when clicked remained hidden. / IE-8 iCon remained accessible.
> BUT, Start / All Progs icons AND TASK MANAGER remained hidden or missing.
> To make long story short, Maleware had 2B removed and new version downloaded via I.E.-8. Security Essentials updated fine as is.

> Upon learning of the BC site from my retail tech, he told me to go to: COMBO FIX and install.
> Turned out there was more than one choice. So, I picked & installed: ARO-2011.
> That fixed only 100 of claimed 500+ issues found and I declined invition to become premium purchaser.
> The fix ALSO removed the Win Recovery Splash screen from the virus on my desktop.
> That fix allowed me to also claim all icons back onto desktop and also unhide all other root directory icons, etc.
> The fix also reclaimed Start / All Prog iCons and Task Manager as well.

> I use only MS Security Essential / Maleware bytes / Malicious Software Remover Tool / TDSSKiller.
> ARO-2011 freed me to run a Disk Clean Up and full scan C: Root with Both Maleware Bytes and Security Essentials.
> THAT def improved everything much better. But not all the way.

> To date, SR is unavailable and I cannot update windows manually. But system tray for win updates DOES function.
> With Manual Winupdate via I.E.-8, it declares the following:

Posted Image

My userdata persistence IS already enabled.

2. MY BASIC SYSTEM INFO:

> Acer M-24 Desktop (14 mos old).
> Win XP Pro ( with SP3)
> Win Fire Wall.
> NTFS
> Western Digital 500 GB back up Drive.
> Fire Fox Browser.
> I.E.-8 for Updates only.
> MS Security Essentials / Malicious Software Removal Tool / Maleware Bytes / TDSSKiller (short cut on desktop).
> I run Disk Clean ups and quick scans daily prior to restart or shutdowns.
> I manually update Security software daily.
> I run Defragger in SAFE MODE twice monthy. Sometimes more depending on situations.

3. FREE BC TRIAL PROG USED:

> ARO-2011 (as already mentioned).

IN CLOSING:

My PC seems to be working fine as before. However Minus the following as already mentioned:

> System Restore won't open at all. Pop up declares:

"SR is not able to protect your computer, please restart your computer and then run SR again."

> Manual Win Updates not accessible. But, system tray icon for updates is.

With RUN, I tried some things in regedit. But, they did not help prior to discovering and using ARO-2011 somewhat successfully.

Pardon my french, but I known Microsoft's SR is unreliable and sucks. Even IF I could get it back now, I know my custom roll back time stamps are all gone.

I once used GO BACK several years ago and was happy with it despite it's limitations.

I also hear "not too good things" about ROLL BACK these days.

The freeware & GHOSTING Recovery progs out there are quite numerous and am not sure what to decide.
But, I need to have a restore Plan in place ASAP until I decide which supported product to buy.

That's it. Hope my itinerary on all this was simple, clear and concise for all of you.

Appreciation & Thanks,

MH~

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 April 2011 - 04:34 PM.
Fixed BB coding. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

04-30-11 / USA!

UPDATE: Major issues on this post are now resolved except for the following:

1. XP Pro Manual Win Updates error code # 0x800A0046 has not been resolved.

Even after I removed and re-installed IE-8 for Win XP Pro, the code error remained.
Microsoft published a Knowledge Article on this code exclusively. But, it did not work for me
and caused me to lose my usual password log on user name via certain instructions using
Computer Management. THAT issue was resolved pain stakingly.
Here is a link to the update error code article by MS:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=20&ln=en&IsMu=True

2. Also unresolved is my XP Pro System Restore issue mentioned.

In closing, I am uncomfortable about purchasing Go Back or Roll Back to replace System Restore.
If anyone wishes to instruct me on how to develop my own roll back tool (via MMC ?) I would be all ears.

My primary C: Drive was never partitioned but is NTFS.

Thanks!

Re,

MH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users