Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had TDL4, problems still remain- computer gets slow after virus scan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 virusmarathoner

virusmarathoner

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hello. I had a TDL4 rootkit infection a couple weeks ago, got help here, and was pronounced clean. (Windows XP)

Some minor problems remained afterward. The Turn Off Computer menu would take minutes to appear. Clicking print takes about 30 seconds or so for options to show. Oh, and if I click Automatic Updates from System in the control panel, that takes like ten minutes for the screen to show up (and only that specific screen).

The infection slowed down my system into PIO mode before. I was scanning with Malwarebytes every day after getting clean, to make sure the virus wasn't returning. The computer wouldn't slow down again after the first few scans, but now it does, which is just like how things began before (EVERYTHING gets real, real slow, not just the three things I listed above-- and the slowdown actually begins DURING the scan). But this time Malwarebytes isn't detecting anything.

For the most part. One scan revealed an old file had returned (atl32.dll) that I had removed before getting help. But after that find, the scans have all been clean. I'm pretty sure the slowdown didn't take effect after finding that malicious file again either.

I had read on another site how to get your computer out of PIO mode, by uninstalling the primary IDE channel drivers and rebooting, letting the computer reinstall them. That's worked great. Speed is restored after a virus scan, AND -- suddenly the turn off computer menu, print screen, and automatic updates screens show up immediately! But after a little while (an hour today), they go back to coming up slow as molasses.

At first I thought it was just residual system damage from the virus, but it sure seems like I could still be infected. Would appreciate some more assistance in figuring out what's wrong exactly.

Oh, and I've kept TDSS on hand, those scans have been clean as well.

Edited by virusmarathoner, 26 April 2011 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

I think i got the exactly same rootkit in my system today.

Cant find it , tried everything and my scans and whole computer is really slow.. took 4 hours instead of 20 seconds to fullscan with malwarebytes
and im running on a Quadcore Blackedition

Advices?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users