Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2010 - Help with Page Numbers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HelpINeedHelp

HelpINeedHelp

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

I'm trying to create a document on Word 2010. Whenever I add a page number, it adds a page number on ALL the pages. I only want a page number on ONE page, not the whole paper. Any help? Thanks.

OK, let me give this some more detail. Whenever I go to Insert, add page number, it adds a page number to ALL the page numbers. For example, when I type a one in Page 4, I get an f'n 1 in every page. I want to smoothly be able to add 1 page number in one page and not affect the others. This is because the first page is the title and the other 2 are the table of contents which DON'T need a page number. Thanks in return.

Edited by HelpINeedHelp, 25 April 2011 - 09:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

See if this tutorial helps
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 HelpINeedHelp

HelpINeedHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

See if this tutorial helps

It didn't. Whenever I click "Different First Page", I still get page numbers in my table of contents. Any other way?

#4 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

05-04-11 / USA!

@ HelpINeedHelp:

Concerning your Page Numbering to Print issues, I've created a single large screen shot tutorial below for you in an older version of WORD I still like to use.

WORD is a very powerful prog and is a fav by many a Commercial Desktop Publisher for graphical print design.
See if my simple tutorial is something that will help resolve your page numbering -vs- printing issue needs.

Sometimes, you have to "think outside the box" in order to accomplish what you really want.

There are many ways to use WORD to solve this prob you describe. This is just one I elected to show you based on what you wrote. After viewing and scrolling around the screen shot, I'll add a few short additional tips and simplify everything more for you in a closing comment.

Please examine as follows:

Posted Image

So, as you can see, all you are doing is:

1. Creating a text box and stretching it out in accordance to your page margins.
2. Click cursor inside and type the # 1. It will align Left.
3. Highlight the # 1 and center align it as shown at bottom of screen shot.
4. By using the Line Color Tool and picking "No Line", the box outline disappears.
5. All that appears is # 1 centered at bottom of page.
6. Remember that although the text box is now hidden, it is still a movable object.
7. So, position it well at bottom of page and leave it alone.
8. If at anytime you put your cursor outside the # 1, the hidden text box lines will reappear as grey ones.
9. Allowing you to still move the text box around a little more. Though it is really still hidden.
> Always SAVE moved changes before approving and closing.

You can actually incorporate this text box numbering design into your existing documents right now and Save them.

> Try designing a text box with # 1 and dragging it to bottom of your actual document first page.
> Then copy past that text box into all your other bottom pages and thus edit the page numbers accordingly and Save.
> For "Table Of Contents", don't paste "hidden" text boxes there because no page numbering is required for them.
> Continue adding text box numbers to succeeding pages as you like.
> You can also change Font Size and Font Styles within the numbered text boxes.

In Conclusion:

Let's say that you are Print Publishing a 25 page document in WORD.
However, pages # 2 & # 3 are Table of Contents that require no Page Numbering.
Remember, don't paste "hidden" text boxes there because no page numbering is required for them.
Pick up pages # 3 to # 25 and type their page numbers sequentially in hidden text box you created at bottom per page.

Print your x25 paged document in total confidence.

All x25 pages will Print out numbered correctly the way YOU want!

However, Table of Contents will not have any page numbers on them. The first page and # 3 to # 25 will.

That's HOW you fool your printer using this design concept I just showed you in WORD.

Best of Luck and I hope this helps you in your quest!

Re,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 04 May 2011 - 09:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users