Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete System Volume files on backup drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

I have some files leftover from when I was trying to use ROXIO RETROSPECT XPRESS to backup my entire hard drive. It never really worked out for me. It never fully backed up and
I continued to have problems with it so I decided to delete all the files manually. I had a difficult time at first, until I realized that you had to right-click go to properties
and uncheck "read only" and then you could delete the files.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/heavyjavadrinker/internet/read-only-not-work.jpg

However, this will not work on the System Volume Information folder. When I click on the "read only" box and hit apply and then ok and then reopen again it is checked again.

Posted Image

This on a partition called "back ups" on an Iomega 1TB Network drive and I don't want to delete anything else, just this 3 Gigabytes of data I don't need anymore. Does anyone know
how to delete these files?

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/heavyjavadrinker/internet/more-contents-of-folder.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/heavyjavadrinker/internet/contents-of.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

You can simply disable system restore on that drive and the contents of the SVI folder will be deleted. Or you can take ownership of the folder and then delete it (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/). Either way, the folder may reappear - but if system restore is disabled it won't contain any files so you needn't worry about it.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

System volume information is a system file/folder...it will appear whether SR is on or not...on every partition.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

Actually, that is correct. Sorry for my mis-statement above.

#5 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

I tried taking ownership on the files themselves and absolutely nothing happens. If you try and delete, the file is still there. No response at all.

I tried taking ownership to the System Volume Information folder and then tried to delete and nothing happens. If I try and cut and then paste to my
desktop, it disappears, but doesn't get pasted. Then when you refresh the BackUps partition, the System Volume Information folder is still really there.
You can see when you go to do the take ownership the command prompt screen pop up and then go away quickly.

#6 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users