Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Dell Dimension 2400's and 1 Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dmmackay

dmmackay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

I have 2 used Dell Dimension 2400's and 1 Hard Drive.

One Computer has Celeron (I think it the best choice for Processors), but everytime I use the mouse for a few seconds/or a minute, it freezes up and I have to shut it off, and restart it. Can this possibly be fixed/ and how?

The other Computer has a Pentium 4, and it works well.

The two combined have a CDR/DVD ROM, but when they are in either computer, I see neither of them show up when I Click on Start-and Click on Computer. Does it matter which connection on the ribbon is connected to them (Drive0/Drive1) or do they possibly need a driver? How Do I install one if so?

I would also like to reinstall Windows Xp, and clean out all of the junk, and Factory stuff, first I think I have to figure out the boot sequence, and that the CDR is Reading.

How should the Boot Up System be Configured as- for selecting or deselecting these things for starting up? The settings for Master Driver, Slave Drive, Second Drive, ( On/off/Auto) First boot/Second, etc. Floppy Drive would be on I guess. And I have no Idea about the IDE Device or what ever it is????? On or Off?

Any help in detail ( ie. Click Start/ Right Click on my My Comuter/ Click Properties /Click on Hardware, etc. )would be appreciated. So to say - "I know where the Harware Settings are, but not sure how to use them. I see the Scan Icon. I'm not sure how to install a driver or selecting the right ones for them".

Thanks for your time and feel free to offer your opinion.

dmmackay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:20 AM

These computers have two IDE channels on the motherboard, the primary and the secondary. Your hdd should be connected to the primary IDE channel and the jumper set as Master.

This tutorial will explain how to install the hdd, set the jumper on the rear of the hdd, and how to recognize the proper orientation of the IDE data cable. These instruction can be used to install the optical drives as well.

The two optical drives need to have the jumpers set as Master and Slave.

Once the optical drives are installed and you start the computer the installation wizard will recognize the new hardware and will assign drivers for the drives.

Let's give this a try, once you get it going this far we can work on the rest of your questions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users