Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 HD Properties Error?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teegeez

teegeez

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

Ok here's something that I just noticed on my Win7 Professional machine that I hope someone can explain:

My 32-bit machine has a hard drive partitioned into two partitions, one for the OS (73,2GB) and the other for files (159GB).
If I view the properties for my OS partition it says that I have 57.2GB used and 15.9GB free.
The issue is that when I open that partition and add up all contents from all the folders, I only have a total of 18GB.
Why does it state that I have used 57.2GB?

I have run Disk Cleanup for both partitions, checked the fragmentation (OK) and have run various spyware, malware & antivirus software and come up clean.
Anyone have any ideas why I am getting what seems to be erroneous info on the properties of the OS partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

System Restore uses a great deal of space (also Temporary Internet Files folder, Temp files, etc). You can download treesize to see where the space is being used: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

#3 teegeez

teegeez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

I see that my Sys Restore points are using a lot of hard drive space. Many are critical updates that I have downloaded.
Is there a recommended/preferred percentage of the drive I should allocate for Restore Points?
I only have the OS partition size as 75GB and presently have the Restore Points set to 40%.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

Set it to 10% or 15% - that should be fine. I don't use system restore at all. It's a great feature - when it works. Too many instances where it fails just when you need it most. I'm a huge advocate of using Disk Imaging software instead, creating images of the system partition to secondary hd's on a weekly basis, retaining the 2 or 3 most recent images. In my opinion it is the best of all backup methods and makes system restore completely unnecessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users