Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD during normal startup only starts in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rfgggg

rfgggg

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

currently xp is giving my a problem of when i try normal startup it gets to the splash screen then flashs a BSOD at me to quick for me to read then restarts...i cant only get it to work by starting in safe mode. this started after my psu died and while waiting to get another one i put the hdd in an old 2003 dell and installed a few drivers so i had a semi working computer...ive done a system restore in safe mode but it hasnt changed anything...ive tried to disable auto restart but cant find the option for it where its supposed to be...im out of ideas here...o ya and its not creating dump files...the last one i have is from march 28 and that was way before any of this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

Are you using the following method in Safe Mode to disable the automatic restarts?

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

What is the make and model of this computer?

What is the model of the Dell that you took the PSU out of?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

i put the hdd in an old 2003 dell

That won't work and it's, most likely, a reason for your problems.
You can't simply move a hard drive from one computer to another and expect it to work.
Windows installation is tied up to certain hardware configuration.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

well it did work at the time and ive never had a problem moving hdds from one computer to another

the old dell i was talkin bout was a dimension 4600C i think and my current one i built

and if the install is tied up between hardware configs then why can i still boot to safe mode?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Because safe mode doesn't load drivers. The OS installed on the drive knows what hardware was installed in the old system and it's looking for those drivers to be loaded in regular mode.

As Broni said, you cannot take a hd from one system and expect a different system to boot to it unless the two systems are 100% identical.

#6 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

ok well then this is making no sense...right now i could shutdown my computer pull out the hdd walk out and put it in the other computer start it up and it will work. also i had the hdd in the computer in currently using, the psu died, i put it in the dell, now ive got it back in the computer it was originally installed on

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

Because safe mode doesn't load drivers

To be exact, it loads only Windows generic drivers and only for basic devices, so the computer can function in limited configuration.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

btw when i say itll start up and work i mean of course my copy of windows 7 that i am currently using

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Because safe mode doesn't load drivers

To be exact, it loads only Windows generic drivers and only for basic devices, so the computer can function in limited configuration.

Precisely. And the OS that is installed has drivers for the ORIGINAL system installed. So when the OS tries to load in normal mode it loads those drivers and will then usually generate a blue screen error since the hardware those drivers support is / are not present in the new system.

Edited by Allan, 25 April 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#10 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

ok i think that you are misunderstanding me here....the ORIGINAL system installed is the on that i am on and having the problem with

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Did you get new PSU for it?

My Website

#12 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

yes...its what im using right now

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

...and you're still getting BSOD, when trying to start in normal mode?
If so, make sure, your "dump" settings are correct...

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Start>Control Panel in Vista).
2. Double-click System.
3. Click (Advanced system settings link in Vista, then --->)the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Make sure, there is a checkmark in Write an event to the system log.
5. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k) (128K in Windows 7).

My Website

#14 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

the only time ive got the BSOD is from this computer

and yes my dump settings are correct...its not dumping anything and as far as i can tell the BSOD doesnt have an error code...

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Restart in Safe Mode with Networking, so you can download couple of things....

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

======================================================================

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop: http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
Application
System

Under Select type to list, select:
Critical (Vista only)
Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy
Reply to this post, click in the reply window and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users