Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer dead after malware fix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twolvesfn21

twolvesfn21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hello,
My PC laptop running Windows Vista was infected with the "Vista Security 2011" virus...

So I followed the steps at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

First, ran the FixNCR.reg file, which opened, and did its job successfully.

Then, I ran the RKill file, which opened, and did its job successfully.

Then thirdly, I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program. It started up and everything seemed to be going just fine- got a little ways through the scan, and then the computer shut off and now it won't turn back on. Nothing happens when I press the power button. The computer is dead. The battery was on a full charge, and the power supply has never had issues. I took it to multiple outlets, even pulled the battery and put it back in. Still no response of life from the PC.

Is it possible that somehow the registry edits and running these programs somehow fried the computer? Or is this just a crazy coincidence that the computer dies right after running these fixes? If anyone can offer some advice or anything else I can try, please let me know! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:47 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
This sounds indeed like a coincidence. Malware can mess with a lot, but it cannot prevent the computer from starting at all. For that reason I'll move this topic to the Internal Hardware forum.

If you get things fixed, we can pay attention to the malware problems you had.

In the mean time, I recommend to check if you still have warranty on the computer, since you might need it.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

Do you remember if the computer was unusually hot from running a lot of scans? Laptops can frequently have heating issues, so I wouldn't be surprised if overheating could have fried something. When was the last time you blew some canned air into the fan/air vents for the laptop?

If the computer will not start, at all, it sounds like something critical was damaged -- likely a motherboard. Even if heat was an issue, the computer should boot up -- if only briefly till heat kicks in.

Edited by Suicide King, 28 April 2011 - 11:42 PM.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

try removing the battery ,and try it with just the power cord plugged in

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users