Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect issue on company computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 artvan

artvan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hello, I believe the issue started when my Symantec warned me of a Trojan.Gen.2 file. I did run a few anti-malware programs and it seemed to have cleared the problem but then I started to have the redirect problems while using the search engines. Can someone please tell me exactly what I have going on and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

Since you say this a work computer, have you contacted and advised your IT Department? In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures.

Our forums are set up to help the home computer user deal with issues and questions relating to personal computers. At most community security sites like this, we do not have the staff or resources to deal with numerous client machines or the complexities of network disinfection. A lot of helpers are not familiar with Servers and many of the tools we use are restricted to non-commercial use by their creators. Further, we are not equipped to involve ourselves in any legal issues that may arise due to loss of business data and loss of revenue as a result of malware infection or the disinfection process which in some instances require reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system.

A business IT staff generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. The malware you are dealing with may have infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate disinfection measures.

If you're reluctant or embarrassed to inform the IT Team, keep in mind that they can easily trace the source of the infection. It is much better to bring this to their attention than to deal with the consequences of violating security policy once the IT Team and your supervisor finds out.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 artvan

artvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

I completely understand and thanks for the reply. The problem is they had it for about a week and could not find/clear/remove the problem. Before finding this site I actually started combo.fix and I think it did repair my machine. I would have never run that program if I saw a disclaimer like this site has posted. I do have all the logs if you could just look at them and verify my system is clean. If you can I would appreciate it and If I do still have a problem maybe direct me on how I can let IT know where the issue is hidden. Thanks for all your help.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,384 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

If you are dealing with a malware infection, please be aware that using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary.

With that said, please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

:step2: ComboFix logs, where should I post them?

When you have done that, post the required logs to include your ComboFix log in that forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic393839.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users