This is my first post and I'm desperate after trying to find a fix for a malware attack I suffered two days ago. I am typing this on a friend's computer. My laptop is a VISTA HOME EDITION.
On Saturday I was looking for an image for my daughter on Google Images and clicked on one. When it opened other windows opened that (I think) were "Vista Antivirus 2010." I say I think because I turned off my network switch to kill internet service very quickly, the windows disappeared and I don't totally recall what was on the screen. But I'm nearly certain it was Vista Antivirus 2010.
I noticed the affects right away. NO executables worked at all. At first, when I tried to open a program I would get a window that wanted me to choose a program to open my software with. That has now become an error message stating:
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."
I backed up many files (not all) that were critical and rebooted in "Safe Mode with Networking." (My PC does detect a network and "connect" to it, but I cannot access the web.) For this reason I cannot download and run any files on my PC (like DDS). The laptop will open in normal mode, also, but the same problems exist.
So here is what I've done to date:
1. Read various "removal" guides for this malware, like this one: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-2010. But nothing has worked yet, and none of the specific files named were found on my laptop as files or on registry.
2. Found out that I can open executables by RIGHT clicking and selecting "start." Some seem fully functional, but many do not work properly or won't open. (Like "cmd" in Run as Administrator mode. I did save the cmd to a flash drive and ran it from there, so I can get a command prompt.)
3. I called an experienced IT friend who was not able to help remotely because he cannot access my laptop. He suggested that I backup the drive and reinstall the OS. That is not an option for me at the present. (I travel full time with my family and do not have all the software disks to reinstall.)
4. Upon getting infected I immediatly ran an AVG scan (that is my anti-virus program). It found six issues that it said it fixed. But the problems remained.
5. Ran Maleware Bytes, and it found two issues. Both were deleted, but the problem still exists. (Can't remember the names. Something like "FakeAlert" (it was "Fake" something) and one like "Broken.Command..."
I am in desperate need here. I use this laptop for EVERYTHING related to our business and family. I will follow any steps given, but keep in mind that I cannot download or run any programs, and what is on the pc has limited accessability.
Any help is appreciated.
Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal