Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Format C:

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aminag

aminag

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:43 AM

First please understand I am not very literate in computers. My son's computer suddenly froze when starting up. Windows XP will go through the welcome screen (slowly) and then his background comes up with no icons. We tried to do the alt, cont, del but it tells us that it has been disabled by the administrator. After others tried to correct the problem with no success it was agreed we would reformat the C: and then reload all of his systems.

We finally got to a part in the start up where I could break out to DOS. When we try to change the drive with A:\>CD C: it replied Drive C: not responding or out of internal memory .

If we try A:\>format C: it gives us the standard warning and asks if we want to proceed (Yes/No)? if we type Y it just sits, any thing else just goes back to the A:\>

If we try A:\>Erase C: it tells us Out of memory error.

I have used my extremely small bit of computer knowledge up. Can someone help me? I would appreciate it (a teenager with a broke computer does not make a mom's life fun).
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ssteve60

ssteve60

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:27 AM

This could possibly be a RAM failure.
If you're lucky and have more than one stick of RAM installed, try removing one. If the problem persists, re-install that stick and remove another.

If it is a RAM failure, likely the computer will speed up immediately when the offending stick is removed.... providing there is other RAM present.

As for desktop recovery, you can try entering Safe Mode (F8 on boot up) then try using System Restore from there. If your desktop comes back, then no problem. If not, you'll likely have to format and reinstall windows. If RAM was the problem, then reinstallation should now be no problem.

This may not be the problem but it can eliminate RAM as the problem and it's cheap and technically easy to do. It's worth a try.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

Are you trying to format C:\ from the Command Prompt in Windows XP? If so, it won't happen (because Windows is still using the C:\ drive).

I'd suggest booting from a bootdisk to format - then, if you get the same error, you're most likely looking at a hardware problem.

As ssteve60 says, it could be a memory failure. Try running one of these free memory testing utilities to see if the memory is a problem (they're installed on a floppy and you boot from that floppy):

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 aminag

aminag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the information! Could I bother you further? As far as possibly being in Window XP when trying to format the C drive. The only way I can get to the dos prompt command is to do a hard restart with the mother board disk in the cd drive. Then when when it gets to the cd boot, I hit pause/break (I believe that is what does it, I always forget). This then takes me to the A drive prompt. This is where I try to format the C drive, change to the c drive, or erase the c drive.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

What kind of computer is this? Do you have a Windows XP disk? You need to go to the BIOS and set the boot order to boot from the CD-Rom first, then with the XP disk in the drive, you can reformat and reinstall Windows.
You can either start over or just do a repair install. Here's some help for the clean install: Clean Install and here's one for repair install: Repair Install

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:08 PM

Could I bother you further?

That's what we're here for! :thumbsup:

:flowers: to BC aminag.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users