Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multimedia Keyboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bassy2

Bassy2

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hi Moderators & All,

I run Windows XP Pro SP3.

I use a Belkin Muntimedia Keyboard on my system. I had cause to uninstall the same. However upon trying the re-install from the CD I get the message:-

Setup.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close:

I cannot install the driver from the CD. However a check in the registry has revealed that there are several instances of Multimedia keyboard therein in a folder namely, K08 Keyboard. on opening the same I found inter alia KBDAp32A.exe. I presume that in order to be able to re-install I must remove all instances from the registry. There is no entry for the keyboard in the Task Manager or in the Control Panel.

I am thankful for any directives guiding me as to how to remove the entries in the registry. I am not knowledgable about the registry. I have only searched the same and found the entries. I would like to know whether I should just delete the folder K08 Keyboard which contains the entries or proceed in a manner you may deem fitting.

Thanking you.

Bassy 2.

NB. I previously posted in the "All Other Apps forum" and believe that was the wrong forum so I have posted here. If I was wrong in so doing my sincere apologies are hereby extended, and I so do apologise. :mellow:

EDIT: I removed post in All Other Apps, thanks :) ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2011 - 12:48 PM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Uninstall the drivers for anything listed under Keyboard.

Reboot...try to install the keyboard drivers.

Louis

#3 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hello Hamluis,

Thank you for your reply thread. I tried going into the device manager as you directed but nothing. Same problem. In my original post I
gave the following information:-

"However a check in the registry has revealed that there are several instances of Multimedia keyboard therein in a folder namely, K08 Keyboard. on opening the same I found inter alia KBDAp32A.exe. I presume that in order to be able to re-install I must remove all instances from the registry. There is no entry for the keyboard in the Task Manager or in the Control Panel".

and asked:- "I am thankful for any directives guiding me as to how to remove the entries in the registry. I am not knowledgable about the registry. I have only searched the same and found the entries. I would like to know whether I should just delete the folder K08 Keyboard which contains the entries or proceed in a manner you may deem fitting".

Would the contents in the forgoing paragraph be the correct thing to do? and if so, Can you or others at the forum direct me.

Thanking you,

Basy 2 :mellow:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

Well...a registry edit should not normally be necessary to install hardware or drivers for hardware. So I (categorically) would not suggest that.

But it's your system and you may try anything you like.

But...looking at general info on the file you named...it doesn't appear to have anything to do with installing a keyboard...extra functionality is not what I would address.

http://www.google.com/search?q=KBDAp32A.exe&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

The only references I see for "K08" indicate a keyboard cable, not a keyboard.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+K08+Keyboard&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

I'll move this to External Hardware, where the more knowledgeable can have a look.

I would be inclined to suggest that your keyboard may be dead/dying, but that's just the way that I look at things.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2011 - 12:48 PM.

#5 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hello Hamluis,

Well I am really happy and thankful for your reply. I looked at the links you gave me and I agree with you. First off I am not savy about the registry. I have only looked in and did a thing or two that was easy to do.

I will let the techies do the work.

Thanks again and best regards.

standeb.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I wouldnt advise editing the registry for this either.
I agree with Louis that this probably isnt a registry issue

Whats the complete model # of the keyboard?
See if there is a sticker on the bottom or a manual that has that info.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hello Eyesee,

At the time you posted I had already sent the keyboard along with the cd to my technican. He will be returning on saturday 14 May, with the same.

The delay in replying was due to pressure of work and is greatly regretted therefore my apologies are in order and I so do extend the same.

Meanwhile many thanks for your reply and best regards to you and all.

Bassy2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users