Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Router / DSL connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ozhawk

ozhawk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:57 AM

I had to reset my Netgear router because I had forgotten the login info and needed to replace a computer hooked up by wifi. The problem is that after using the smart wizard online and the disk that came with the router (finally found it)and many resets, power downs, etc I couldn't get the hardwired computer to connect to the internet. After calling CenturyLink (CenturyTEL)several times trying to figure out what was wrong they gave me the info below, but I don't have a clue as to what to do with it. I have been hooked up wirelessly since 2008 w/the same Netgear router.
If anyone could possibly help me with this I and my children would greatly appreciate it.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v7 router
My modem is a Netopia 3341-CTEL
(don't know if you need this, but one computer is running XP, one running Vista Home Premium, and one running Windows
7)
Here is the info from CenturyLink -

Our HSI connection settings are as follows:
VPI = 8
VCI = 35
Multiplexing = LLC-based
Encapsulation = Enet Encap (Sometimes referred to as Bridged)
We use DHCP over Ethernet
I am willing to buy a new router or modem if it would simplify things, but am helping several family members so if I can put that off for a few weeks to a month I could get it done. But please give me info for both issues if possible.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Many Thanks
ozhawk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

Can you go to start then run on all the computers and perform the following:

Type in cmd hit enter.

In the big black box that comes up do the following:

ipconfig /all >> c:\ipconfig_computer1.txt

Open up ipconfig_computer1.txt then paste the contents in a new post. Do this for each computer. So the next PC would be ipconfig_computer2.txt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users