Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get ride of this virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Silky1284

Silky1284

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

I have a bad google redirect virus. Usually I can get ride of majority of viruses with easy but with this one nothing will work.
Malwarebytes and AuperAntiSpyware return no results. The rkill now will only freeze or cause a blue screen error. Combofix also gives a blue screen error or freezes the computer before starting. This also happens in safe mode. tdsskiller fails at 80%. I've tried UBCD4win also but had problems finding anything.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Silky1284

Silky1284
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

I managed to remove it myself. I used a program called. Dr.Web CureIt! Everything works fine now.
Link: http://freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Posted Image > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links:

Combofix also gives a blue screen error or freezes the computer before starting.

IMPORTANT!: If you ran or want to run ComboFix on your own due to malware infection, please be aware that using it is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary.

Further, when issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users