Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replacing laptop dvd drive - compatibility question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nonya

Nonya

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

The optics on the Toshiba TS-L632H DVD +-RW Slim drive in my DELL Inspiron 1525 crapped out (won't read any media). Diagnostics (laptop and web tools for DVD drives) say it's fine and I checked the driver update then uninstalled and rebooted but it still just buzzes and the light flashes continually without accessing anything on the discs.
A friend upgraded his HP Pavilion laptop DVD drive and the one he replaced is a TS-L632 (which was still working fine). He offered to give it to me but I wanted to ask if anyone knows, can I just swap the broken 632H from my Inspiron for the one from his Pavilion, switch bezels and everything will work?! I figured the DVD drive and Inspiron won't know the diff, but don't know what all the issues might be including whether the plugs would be diff (12.7mm PATA /SATA/IDE/Proprietary) or if the "H" suffix is important.......
Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

If the connection is the same, then it should work. With those connections, they only plug in one way and you cant mix and match-if it plugs in, then in theory it should work. If they arnt compatible, they wont even plug in.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Nonya

Nonya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:07 AM

Well thanks for the reply Patriot. I'll check to see if the one from the HP has an IDE interface and go from there.......

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

good old Dell will make it as hard as possible for it not to work for you .i once had a older Dell laptop and a toshiba dvd ,same plug type ,it fit perfict but the Dell would't load it up,until i found info on the web to cross and solder pins 27 and 49[i think that was the #'s]anywa after doing so laptop reconized it and loaded drivers and it worked fine

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Learn something new everyday!
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer