Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wep key

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roddo

Roddo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

Hi Guys, I have been trying to connect a friends ipad to our network, on our router key 3 is set as the default, but I cant find a way of directing the ipad to key three, if we put key 1 as the value, and enter it on the ipad, it works like a charm, but with obvious probs for everyone else! Any ideas?

Rod

Edit: Moved topic from iPad and Tablet Devices to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:09 AM

What is the make and model of the router?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Roddo

Roddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:00 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply, the router is a Netgear DG834G, which is working fine, and connects perfectly with the Ipad if we use the WEP Passkey code at Key 1, however all the other gadgets around the network use passkey 3, so I was wondering if there is a setting sheet/dialog box somewhere on the ipad that I cant find, that would redirect it to use the passkey value we type in as passkey 3 instead of passkey 1.

Thank
Rod

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:28 AM

All of my research states it works best if you use wep with the key in location 1. Also its best to use wpa instead of wep its mores secure and the iPad seems to like it better. I see no where to tell the iPad what keys to use at the present time.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

Ipad only support wep index 1. You should not be using wep anymore, though. WPA2 Personal should be the encryption that is used.

#6 Roddo

Roddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Thanks guys, looks like a trawl round all the laptops changing their settings, but at least I know where Im going!

Cheers
rod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users