Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it my onboard video card ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 greasemonkeyjmj

greasemonkeyjmj

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

sorry but this may be a long post. i have a 6 or 8 month old e machines desktop tower model EL1850-01e it has a intel celeron 450 processor with integrated intel GMA X4500 graphics card. 500 gig hd and 2 g memory. 2 days ago when i would turn it on, it would come on for about 4 seconds then shut down. i tried several different things to try and find the problem including unplugging the software jumpers inside to try and find if one of them may have been shorted. but i had no success. yesterday i plugged it in, after sitting all night in pieces on my desk, and lo and behold it came on. i plugged eveything in and started it back up and everything worked just like it should. well about 9 hours later everything on my monitor turned in to little red and blue X looking characters and i couldnt see anything. i manually shut it down and restarted, and i could not get a picture. it kept telling me there was no video signal. please check my connections. i tried everything i could think of to no avail. well today i plugged it up again and it is working fine again, although i dont know how long it will last. so with the strange display with all of the x's and then no signal does this sound like a graphics card problem ? and if so does anyone know what type of graphic card my system will accept? i havent had any luck searching online to find out what cards will work.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

How big is your PSU ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 greasemonkeyjmj

greasemonkeyjmj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

it shows that it is only a 220 watt. this is a mini tower so there is not room for a very big psu. and i forgot to mention that all of the software is the factory items that came with this tower

thanks

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

Well, without checking one item after another, when the issues actually happens it's hard to say something for certain.
Your issue could have happened with failing power supply (I don't think 220W would be an underpowered number, especially with on-board video), bad video cable, or bent pin on it, bad monitor, or failing video chip.
If it happens again, try different monitor first, then try that different monitor with different video cables.
If the above won't help, then we're down to power supply, or on board video chip.

BTW...
1. Is the computer still under warranty?
2. According to this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Celeron%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+2GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/9974267.p?id=1218204533255&skuId=9974267, you have one PCI Express x16 slot available, which can be used for installing video card.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users