Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gusgus910

gusgus910

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

I have a desktop with two hard drives. XP Home on C drive and Drive E, I use as a backup drive. I would like to make drive E a boot-able drive with XP Home operating system on that drive also. My questions are: First of all is this possible? Second, can I use the same Operating system disc I used in drive C without breaking any laws?! If I can, could some give me a step by step procedure on how to do this? I have mediocre computer experience. Thank You
Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

Boot to the XP CD. The install routine will begin. Just answer the questions regarding what you want to do and where (which disc) you want to do it. After installing, remember you need to install all drivers (starting with the chipset driver), install an anti virus app, and download & install all Windows updates (except for hardware & driver updates, which you never want to get from Windows Update).

#3 gusgus910

gusgus910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi Allan
Thank you for responding so quickly. I'm sorry but as I mentioned before I have mediocre experience in this sort of thing. How and where do I find and install all drivers (starting with the chipset driver)? Are they on the XP CD? Thanks again for your help!
Charlie

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

The chipset driver is obtained from the website of either your computer manufacturer or your motherboard manufacturer. The drivers for other hardware (video card, sound card, ethernet card) are obtained from the websites of the various card manufacturers.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:45 PM

This may be a silly question but why do you want bootable copies of XP on both the C and E drive?

Also, what is the D drive?
Yo did not mention that drive.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

You can use Driver Magician to copy the drivers from the other hdd. This will save you some time and aggravation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users