Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean under keyboard (water deposits)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

I know, I know, water & computers don't play well together. But I spilled some water on my Toshiba Satellite M45-S265 some weeks ago. I didn't know I was supposed to take the keyboard out to dry it before starting it up again, so I turned it on/off a few times. Everything seems fine except that some of the keys don't do anything. Since then I've read threads that advise taking the keyboard out, drying it thoroughly, and cleaning the connections.

1) I found instructions on getting the keyboard out, but would first like advice about grounding myself. Mostly I've seen "touch a radiator or cold water tap, and don't move your feet." So does this just mean touch the metal every once in awhile? One source said it should be unpainted metal, but our radiators are painted. Here are my choices:

• Radiators are painted, located in rooms with wooden floors, kinda dusty.
  • Cold water taps are in cramped quarters, one with a wooden floor, one with slate-type tiles (not ceramic)
  • Some unknown, painted pipe in the sunroom, with painted tiles. Easy to keep the cat away.

2) Once I get the keyboard out, how do I get the deposits off? Some have said just soapy water and one person said mouthwash. Isnít the problem with water that there will be deposits? Can I use rubbing alcohol?

Many thanks in advance!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

Never mind, I went ahead and used isopropyl alcohol & kept touching the cold water tap (figured out how to get myself situated safely over the bathroom sink). The keys are still non-functional; I guess I need a new keyboard. I don't understand why just those keys are affected even after I cleaned them, but oh well. Once I get a job I'll spend the $20-30 on a new keyboard and hope that solves the problem!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

if one of the address lines in the keyboard has gone bad several keys will be affected. I've rarely seen a watered keyboard dry and work reliable. The important thing is if water got under it or not.

As cheap as the keyboards are when I had bought a used laptop with a couple of missing keys I just replaced the keyboard, Plus it looks nice and new too.

I believe it cost me $18 with S&H and the fin, what Toshiba calls the heatsink was another $7. I get good prices as a service center. I then supercharged it's boot time time with a Intel SSD 320 series. Reliability vs speed.It is still only a slower core2duo but start up time is quick, Programs open fast and since I'm not doing CPU intensive work on it responsiveness is key for me to be happy.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

I understood the middle of your post but am not familiar with address lines or any of the stuff following the prices in the last paragraph. But I got the gist of it. My partner actually doesn't want to repair that computer at all; he says it's superslow. I think it's OK, it gets online reliably (unless our other laptop), and has a nice display. I certainly don't want to buy a whole new computer and simply ditch this one.

Once the new keyboard is in, I'll see what can be done about speeding it up. Actually, I probably can do it now, if the on-screen keyboard works for whatever I would need the keyboard for. He says that my profiles are always slower than his. I mess around with stuff more, trying to take away extraneous elements. But I probably do some stuff I shouldn't.

Anyway, thanks for your post, rotor.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Could be a simple as not enough memory. Win XP suggest 1Gb or two GB, Vista Win7 Suggest 2 to 3 Gb memory.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users