Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not shut down, howcome?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gyromatic52

gyromatic52

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

Several times now I have told the computer to turn off and discovered later that it was still on. I get that grey window that says fatal error not just error and it asks me to send a report so I have sent the report and waited and closed and still nothing from microsoft and it still does it. Is someone else using my computer and knows how to prevent me shutting down so they can continue to use it? Or is this problem solvable without having to worry about that? I have Malware bytes antimalware and also McAfee which seems useless. Both of them find nothing when scanning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

Have you watched to see if the computer is restarting after the error message?

Can you post the exact error message?

If you find that the computer is restarting try either of the methods below to stop the automatic restart. Once it is disable you will get an error message rather than restarting. Please post that error message in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

1) Replace McAfee with ANY other anti virus app. McAfee is the worst.

2) Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Then shut down. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming process, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users