Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TDSS.e Virus and Can't boot anymore

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 stoicdwarf

stoicdwarf

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

Hi-

I really hope someone can help me.
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with Win XP Pro - I use Computer Associates Anti-Virus ( which I'm not thrilled with ..)

10 days ago I posted to the Virus, Spyware, Malware removal guide because I had received the Windows Recovery virus. After 7 days and no response I tried various things and actually thought I was making progress on my own. I got the pop ups to go away through the use of rkill and malware bytes. However, I still had something. I began getting random audio and google redirects. I posted again, but still no response. I began trying other software that I saw recommended in threads with similar troubles as me.

I used Super Antispyware and my own AV (CA). The programs would all find things and delete them but I kept having the redirect and audio issue. The one help I could never get to run was TDSSKiller. Lastly, I tried Kaspersky's free virus removal scanner. That was doing great. It was finding lots of things and deleting. It had just used a special removal process that required a reboot to remove the TDSS.e virus. I had rebooted and was continuing with my scan, when I decided to move my computer to the bedroom to get some rest. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that I had removed the battery and was running off the adapter.

When I unplugged the adapter I seemed to have blitzed the hard drive. i can't boot back into windows any more. I get a bluescreen that says Problem detected - shut down to prevent damage - check for virus and remove newly installed hard drives - check hard drive to make sure it is configured and terminated - run chkdsk /f etc ..

I have tried to reboot in all the options available (Safe Mode, SM w/Networking, SM w/Command Prompt, Last Known Good Config., Directory Services Restore Mode, Debugging Mode...) The ones I did not try were: Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA mode, Disable AutoRestart on System failure)

I tried to use the Windows XP disk that came with the Dell computer to boot from, but it would not boot from the CD. It may be that the Dell disk is not bootable.

I'm ready to reformat and start from scratch if that's what it takes. As long as I haven't rendered the hard disk inoperable after my stupid move. I just don't know how to do that without a bootable OS disk.

My husband has a PC I could create a disk from if that's a possibility.

Any help is very much appreciated. I am at my wit's end.

Lynn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users