Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery console

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rodmac87

rodmac87

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:49 AM

Is it normal that on my XP PC that every time I use Combofix - even within a couple of days, i still have to install the recovery console even though i already have 1000 times and never uninstalled it. It always says it's not installed and i have to download it every time i use cf.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (i.e. Malware Response Team) who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

Further, using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

If you ran ComboFix just to see what it does or finds, also be aware that ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses.

With that said, what specific issues are you having that requires continued use of ComboFix?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rodmac87

rodmac87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Okay well i really don't need the lecture. I have used combofix 4-5 times with assistance and at this point i know when i run it it's not going to mess anything up and i unplug my internet. If it does i know it is my own fault. I also use Gmer, Mbam and Antivir. As well i have the Eset scanner. One of the sites i visit gives me a virus and i still haven't figured out which one, so i often start to lag and my browser get's really loud and slow, and after i run combobix it almost always deletes something and sometimes it finds a rootkit and helps my PC. This is beneficial to me and it saves waiting up to 36 hours to deal with the problem here. So i appreciate your concern but the bottom line is no I am not going to stop running it on my own. My PC is gonna be dead within a year or two anyway, I don't care.

With that being said, the only question i have, is it normal that i have to install the recovery console every time i use it? Even if i run it twice a day? When i ran it twice i did it to compare logs and it did more the first time and the issue died off a lot.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

My reply was not intended as a lecture. Other members read these topics and I'd rather provide too much info rather than not enough.

ComboFix will attempt to detect if you have the Windows Recovery Console installed. Without it Combofix will not attempt the fixing of some serious infections. If ComboFix does not detect it, then you will be prompted to install as indicated in the Authorized ComboFix Usage Guide.

#5 rodmac87

rodmac87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

Yes i understand. But the problem i have is that i do have the console installed and i see it every time i boot, but regardless of that i still have to install it over again every time. So I assume that combofix just doesn't detect it right on my PC, but i suppose it's harmless to install it again anyways. What are your thoughts? I guess my only option is to just do what it says, but i know for a fact that the console is there... Regardless as i said even if i happen to run CF twice in one day i will have to install the console both times, and it would have been already installed before the first... I don't have any problem when it installs it for me, i just don't understand why it doesn't get properly detected when already installed.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

i just don't understand why it doesn't get properly detected when already installed

That would be a question the developer would have to explain and he does not discuss the inner workings of his tool in public. The Authorized Guide specifically says attempts to detect so I would take that to mean in some cases CF may not detect it.

#7 rodmac87

rodmac87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Good enough, thank you for assisting. I will not be pursuing the issue further. You are welcome to close the thread.

#8 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Run Notepad and open this file c:\Boot.ini

Post the content. This will tell me if the recovery console is installed or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users