Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build won't recognize 2 IDE devices on one cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

I originally posted this in the XP forum, but I think that's the wrong place...

I just had my old mobo and CPU go toes up (Asus P4P800-MX and Pentium 4 CPU, don't remember exactly what), so I replaced them with an Asus M4A79XTD EVO and AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU bundle.

My original build had a 750 GB SATA hard drive, a 160 GB IDE hard drive, an IDE DVD, and an external USB drive for backups. Everything was seen just fine by the old motherboard; I had the IDE hard drive and DVD plugged into separate IDE sockets on it.

Due to corruption from repeated crashes due to the mobo/cpu locking up several times a day, my original installation of XP on the Windows partition of the SATA drive was toast as well, so I had to format the partition and do a clean install of XP. Everything is up and working beautifully (and very speedily, too).

The new board only has one IDE socket, so I thought no problem, I'll just set both drives to cable select and run them off one IDE cable.

Nope. If I run them both off one cable, the BIOS only sees the hard drive. If I disconnect the hard drive from the cable, BIOS sees the DVD drive. I've changed cables, moved the jumpers on both drives, removed the jumpers on both drives, made sure the drives are set to AUTO in BIOS, nothing works. I can have one or the other, not both.

Any ideas? Is it something wonky with XP Pro? Or should I get one of those nifty IDE to SATA converters? Or just bite the bullet and get another SATA drive? Personally, I'd like to get both drives talking without buying anything else...

O/S: Windows XP Professional
Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU
RAM: 8 GB
SATA drive: Seagate ST3750528AS 750 GB
IDE drive: Seagate (don't know the particulars, don't want to open the case up)
DVD drive: HP DVD Writer 1035r

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

Try setting the jumpers to Master and Slave. The hdd should be the Master on the first connector. Be sure that the red stripe is on the right when looked at from the back of the connector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

With IDE drives you have to designate one drive as a master and the other drive as a slave, this is done by placing the jumpers on the drives in the proper position, the jumper map is usually printed on the hard drive label.

Make sure you enter the BIOS setup utility of the motherboard and verify that both drives are being detected on the primary master and primary slave channels.

Save to CMOS by selecting F10 and exit.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

There was a duplicate of this topic in the XP forum. It looks like the two responses were combined in this topic and the other removed.

Edited by dc3, 24 April 2011 - 02:00 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users