Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unallocated disc space in Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cassiearmand

cassiearmand

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

Greetings!

I just went through quite the ordeal attempting to get Vista back into working order on an HP machine. I actually posted about it here a little while ago, and anyone interested can (view the post here).

Essentially, my old hard drive died. In order to fix my computer, I cloned the hard drive, put the image on the new hard drive, and used the undamaged recovery partition to recover Vista into a fresh installation.

However, the side effect of that is that C: is now the size of the old hard drive's C: drive (about 300 GB), when the new hard drive is 500GB. There is about 200 GB of space that is "missing" or unallocated and I can see it in the disk management tool. I am tempted to expand the C: drive to grab the unallocated space, but at the same time I am a little worried about doing that after reading (here) that it can cause Vista not to boot up again without a recovery disc. After it taking so long to fix my computer in the first place, I am determined not to let it die on me again.

If I use the Disc Management tool instead of something like GParted, can I avoid the ills caused by fiddling with the disc size? Should I just make a third partition to make the space "usable" and be done with it?

If anyone has any words of wisdom, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

Should I just make a third partition to make the space "usable" and be done with it?

I think you would be amazed at how many responses you'll get with people telling you to use that unallocated space as a storage area, in other words create a separate active partition there and store your extra data such as music or videos.

I can not guarantee 100% success, but I have used programs like Gparted and EASEUS Partition manager to perform such tasks, just make sure you back up your data FIRST just to be on the safe side.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

The safest option is to simply create a third partition in the unallocated space, using Windows Disk Management.
That will avoid any disasters with your Windows partition.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

In Disk Management, you should be able to right click on the partition and select "Extend Volume".

However, simply creating another partition in the unallocated space is a perfectly viable way to use the drive's full capacity.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 cassiearmand

cassiearmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thank you for the advice, everyone. After reading your responses, and considering all of the issues I have had with the computer, I opted to create a new partition instead of expanding the current Windows partition. I didn't want to risk the stability of the Windows partition. Thanks again!

Cas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users