Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU usage with any browser

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgtbgt

bgtbgt

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi,

I've had a problem recently with 100% CPU usage when on the web. I usually use Chrome, but problem is similar in Opera, and in Firefox. My computer is running Windows XP SP3. I have tried disabling Flash and Java, one at a time or both. A few times it seemed to solve the problem, but that was short-lived. I tried uninstalling Java and downloading latest version, no improvement. I would appreciate any suggestions. I was referred to this forum from hijack this, and have a log from that.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

Are you saying that...anytime you get on the Web...with any browser...that you have 100% CPU usage for a sustained period of time that is measureable?

What proecesses are (primarily) involved in this usage, per Task Manager? What are the 3 line items reflecting the highest percentage of CPU use?

FWIW: There is no use malware logs in any of the O/S forums, those are entirely different issues...for trained personnel working in our malware forums.

Why did you uninstall Flash and Java?

Have you looked at/disabled...your browser add-ons...when trying to determien suspects?

Louis

#3 bgtbgt

bgtbgt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

It's not always immediate when browsing, but usually within the 1st few minutes. It doesn't matter which of those 3 browsers I use, and I don't have IE installed to try. 100% usage remains high some times, and drops down at times. Browser freezes when it's at 100%. I am typically a user with lots of programs open, lots of browser tabs, with rarely any negative performance. It's currently not a problem with this forum, but fairly often goes to 100% even with no other programs open.

Highest peak memory usage is chrome, svchost, and EKRN.exe (my latest attempt ESET NOD32).

I didn't uninstall Flash, just disabled or blocked it in each browser. Same with Java, then tried an uninstall and renewed download. I read somewhere these may be a problem, and I noticed more usage spikes when on pages with either of those, less issues on plain no-frills web pages.

I had a problem with Chrome speed dial about a month ago, and disabled that. Otherwise, I don't use too many add-ons, but will look into that tomorrow.

Is it appropriate to post my original question in a different forum?
Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

I was referred to this forum from hijack this

Hi
Can you post a link to the HJT area that you were sent from as it was not from this site
Also please do not post logs in this area unless asked -

Thank You

#5 bgtbgt

bgtbgt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

I was referred to this forum from hijack this

Hi
Can you post a link to the HJT area that you were sent from as it was not from this site
Also please do not post logs in this area unless asked -

Thank You

http://hjt-data.trendmicro.com/hjt/analyzethis/index.php?report=3560990

#6 kokso

kokso

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hi, I use Win 7 and I have same problem. I don't have 100% CPU usage, only 25%. I have quad core CPU and all browsers use to slowly increase their CPU usage up to 25%. It doesn't matter, if I set affinity for browser to 1 core, or split it to 4 cores. It always end at 25%. After that, browser is unusable, but system and other applications run OK (maybe little slower, if they need more CPU). The most interesting thing is, I have same problem in Linux (on same PC) too and only with browsers. Everything else runs OK. It is strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users