Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cardiac monitoring company affected by AWS downtime

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

The Cloud. The Next Big Thing™... or so we were told.

We see the Cloud in action in our daily lives. Whether it's for backup purposes (with services like dropbox) or for web services like Amazon's EC2 and RDS services, the Cloud is prevalent and obviously here to stay.
What, however, is not understood by a certain percentage of the Cloud's heaviest users is that the promise of ~99% uptime also means that there is a ~1% downtime. One would think that any company even remotely thinking of hosting mission critical systems in the Cloud would take into consideration that there are no certainties in this life and that data redundancy is critical to a business' health (and in this case, to patient's lives).

I came upon a link that showed just how much people still need to learn about this fundamental basic rule. The Cloud is not a failsafe. It is a system and it can fail. If you host life-critical systems on it, you run the risk of losing access to these systems for indefinite amounts of time. If you have no backups, or contingency plans for such a scenario (like the company in the following link lacks), you have no one to blame but yourself. (insert facepalm smiley here)

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=65649&tstart=0
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

As stupid as it is, it doesn't bode well for their foray into web services that Amazon don't have the ability to deal with these issues even at the critical level that the poster is clearly at.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users