Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:09 AM
Go to www.merijn.org and download CW Shredder. It's specifically designed to remove Cool Web Search.
This should work well to remove this problem.After that, download and install Spybot Search & Destroy. The freeware version is effective in keeping this and other pesky spyware sotware from installing itself in your computer.
Read further down this item for special instructions to make Spybot as effective as possible.
Also install and regularly use AdAware. both of these programs are free, effective and easy to use.
Setting Up Spybot Search & Destroy Ver.-1.3 and above
· Download and install the latest version of Spybot S&D
· Open the program from the Desktop Icon.
(It may be helpful to edit the Shortcut to open the program in full screen mode
(maximize) rather than in a Normal Window.)
· In the main program window, click on "Mode" in the upper tool bar.
· Then click on "Advance Mode".New selections will appear at the bottom of the menu in the left column.
· Click on "Settings". Click "Settings" again on the new menu that just appeared in the left column.
· In the right pane, scroll down to the "Main Settings" group. Uncheck the three lines that start with "Create Backups of——".
· Scroll down to "Scan Priority" and check the box next to "Highest".
· Scroll down again to "Web Update" and check boxes next to "Download Update—-" and "Display PGP Signatures Updates". (Optional: Select "Display available beta versions", if you don't mind getting an occasional bug,,,,that may require reinstalling the program.)
· Under the header of "Log File Settings", you can uncheck all the boxes. Saving log files just serves to further clutter up your hard drive.
· Go back to the Menu in the left column and click on "Tools". In the right display window, click the box next to "Process List". You may find being able to view the process list very helpful. That concludes the setup procedure. Close the program.
· Now, go online and re-open the program. Click on "Search for Updates". The program will check with its server for available updates and display them in the window in the center of the screen. Check boxes next to all the available updates, then click "Download Updates" in the toolbar at the top of the window. After the updates are received, move your mouse cursor to the left menu and click the Red "Immunize" icon to see if there are any new Immunizations in the files you've just received. If the program tell you that new immunizations are available, OK that box and then click the green "+lmmunize" button up and to the left of the OK you just clicked, to actually apply the new immunizations.
· A very good rule to follow....If you get an update, do a "Search for Problems" as soon as possible after you get off-line.