Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning windows vista outbound firewall on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Matt0r

Matt0r

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

I was surprised to learn that the Vista firewall allows all outbound connections by default.

This is bad, in my view, because it prospectively lets any malware on your machine phone home.

Discovered this blog post that shows you how to turn it on.

http://expertvista.com/2010/tweak-windows-firewall/

The downside is that you have to manually let each program through, although it's not too much of a chore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

And that's why many clued-up people (myself included) install a two-way, fully controllable, third-party firewall.
Then you know exactly what's coming in & going out if you configure it to alert you to everything.
Or you can set it to make intelligent choices for you, based on an updateable malware list.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hmmm...I'd sure like for someone to somehow correlate infected systems versus non-infected systems...along with Windows firewall vs 3d-party firewall.

I've used any number of 3d-party firewalls in the past...I removed each of them and then tested another...and another...and so on. I never had an infection of any sort.

Last year, I decided to go back to the Windows firewall...I have the same uninfected systems.

IMO, 3d-party firewalls are a matter of personal preference...I'm not a control freak and i hate meaningless detail...those are the two primary attributes I saw with my 3d-party firewalls.

The only 3d-party firewall I would not suggest to anyone would be ZA.

And, if you are going to use such...please take the time to read the instructions, configuration options, etc. and know exactly what you can expect.

I have to add that I don't have Vista installed, I can only speak of the Windows firewall relative to XP and Win 7.

I always remember...the user is the most serious vulnerability for any system. No firewall will compensate for that.

Louis

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

I've never used anything other than Windows Firewall (along with my router's NAT) with any version of Windows. And I couldn't care less what my outbound traffic is, though I do have Kaspersky AV on all systems and I do scan with MalwareBytes monthly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users