Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not shut down or restart normally

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

For about 2 months, I have had to either do a forced shut down or restart to accomplish either, the system just will not restart or shut down, using the start/ turn off computer sequence. I have started in safe mode which will shut down, if I remember right, but normal mode still doesn't function correctly. No error messages are presented. the blue screen saying windows is shutting down just stays, even overnight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

Troubleshoot XP Shutdown Problems (MS) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

See "The Computer Stops Responding..." section.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm, see "Shutdown Does Not Complete" section.

Louis

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

I tried every applicable solution, nothing worked. The system seems to go through closing all the files, saving all the settings and even on restart the screen says windows is shutting down and just never does.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Now try to shut down. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming process, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#5 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

That is probably why I haven't tried it yet, that was going to be my next move if I couldn't find a quick fix. Thanks.

#6 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

OK I'm back from the long trip. Below is what has not bee rechecked. The Machine Debug Manager seems to be the culprit, when checked to run seemed to foul the system, but just removing it did not let the system shut down properly. I had to remove disable all functions in the Services and startup to get it to reset to shut down. It now seems to shut down or restart each time, just seems to take a long time sitting on "Windows is shutting down" even when restarting.

Services Not Checked:

• Crypkey License
• InCD Helper
• Machine Debug Manager (This is the one that when checked to run seemed to foul the system, but just removing it did not let the system shut down properly.)
• MotoHelper Service

Startup Not Checked:

• AdobeARM
• Reader_sl
• NMBgMonitor
• GoogleUpdate
• InCD
• LtMSG
• NeroCheck
• NWEReboot (was originally blank in the Item & Command columns, I changed the registry)
• Photoshow Deluxe Media Manager mssysmgr (I changed the registry Item entry)
• GoogleToolbarNotifier
• Acrobat Assistant
• Adobe Gamma Loader

#7 Train2104

Train2104

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

I used to have this problem, it magically somehow disappeared one day, I don't know what I did.

If you boot up the computer, let everything load, then shut down w/o opening anything manually, does it go any faster?

#8 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

I tried restarting 4 times and each time it took 4 min and ~3 seconds to complete a loop, from shut down to everything restarted and ready to work. Some of the individual sequences change times but over all it remained the same.

#9 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Have you looked in event viewer to see if any app errors or others ?
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

I tried restarting 4 times and each time it took 4 min and ~3 seconds to complete a loop, from shut down to everything restarted and ready to work.

Okay. Is this a problem for you?

#11 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

If you mean the 4 minutes, it is not a problem it is a concern and an annoyance. I need better response time. And no I have not checked the event log, not sure how to do that!

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

I guess I don't understand why you need a faster reboot. First, how often do you reboot the system? Second, what difference does it make how long it takes as long as it works properly once it boots?

#13 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

Usually when I reboot it is because the system is either reacting very slow or one or more applications is not functioning correctly, who knows from what, and I am in the middle of something I need to complete. Now this morning just 10 minutes ago, as I was reviewing last nights news, out of nowhere pops the BSOD saying that there was a memory problem with Win32.exe. Often I work under a "time is of the essence" environment so speedy shut downs and start ups is a requirement for me. Oh yeah, I am also picky and demanding. As far as how often do I shut down and reboot, that depends, on how well the system is responding. Generally I recycle the system at least every two days, as I have found that with windows memory use becomes an issue and to get more available memory I cycle.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

Okay. Well your problem is not how long it takes to reboot, but rather the circumstances CAUSING you to reboot. The fact that you are getting blue screen errors and experiencing other problems is what is important. Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#15 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

Below is results of following your instructions. There seemed to be much more information in the BlueScreenView application window.

==================================================
Dump File : Mini050211-01.dmp
Crash Time : 5/2/2011 6:32:38 AM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0xbf812501
Parameter 3 : 0xacd7833c
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+606ba
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.6055 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINXP\Minidump\Mini050211-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 65,536
==================================================

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users