Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Removal Tool Virus. Can't Update MBAM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lwilwert

lwilwert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hello,

My friend's laptop is infected with the MS Removal Tool virus. Most googling led me to this tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-ms-removal-tool

On step 7, it directs us to uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN".
However, this box is already NOT checked when I open this screen. Internet shows that it is connected to our network via wifi, but webpages will not load.
As such, I used my computer and an USB to transfer RKILL.exe as an ulterior option stated in guide.

RKILL finds and terminates:
C:\windows\SysWOW64\InfDefaultInstall.exe
C:\windows\SysWOW64\runonce.exe

As internet is still not working, I used the USB to transfer mbam-setup.exe as well. Install program. I then attempt to update to no avail.

So what other things must I do to regain internet connection and thus update mbam to fully remove MS Removal Tool? Does it HAVE to be updated (found 1 file. I don't remember what)?

Thank you for any insight!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lwilwert

lwilwert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

My friend's laptop had Webroot AntiVirus on his system already and had been recently updated (no need for internet!). I substituted this into procedure and seemed to have fixed the problem(no spam at reboot). If anyone knows if this will be insufficient in the long run, please let me know. Still food for thought if other people encounter same roadblock.

Still no internet, but I think I remember running across someone saying that system restores can cause this problem (The person using the laptop at time of infection attempted this before I took over). So I will poke around the interwebs to see how to resolve this hopefully unrelated problem.

If not, thank you for the guide! Definitely helped me get my bearings on my first virus purge! Was lost without it. Thanks! ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users