Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus again

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hiroshi

hiroshi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Did it again. Was surfing and got a virus. Norton found it and removed. MalwareBytes found 5 and was suppose to remove it but, my computer didn't seem to want to responded to any commands. FireFox would not load so I turned off the computer and tried to restart it again. Now it just cycles so I tried F8 which didn't work but, went into my safe mode page. First tried "Last know good configuration" and nothing worked. Then tried to get into safe mode and nothing happens. Just cycles again. Can anyone spend a little time with me so I made get my computer up and running again. I'm working off my laptop right now. Would appreciate any help. Thanks....Hiroshi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

What is your operating system?
Let's STOP the Reboot loop

When running Windows and it crashes and you get a blue screen of death( BSOD ) with an error message and it will automatically restart, Most times it restarts too fast for you to see and read the error message. We are going to disable auto restart on system failure. So the screen will stop and you can copy down the complete error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I can't get that far. When I start up, A blue screen does go by really fast and then goes into start up black screen that says "Safe Mode" "Last known" and "Start normally". When I try "Safe Mode" I get the usual "multi(0)disk(0) rdisk (0) etc and tries to reboot again and end up the same place. I can't seem to get past this page. Appreciate your time helping me. Hiroshi

#4 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

I forgot. I'm running WindowsXP Pro. F8 does gets me into Boot Device page. Otherwise is just reboots into safe mode page.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

Loks like you need to run AVIRA RESCUE CD
Try creating this disk and boot off of it. You will need another computer to make this disk on.
Avira AntiVir Rescue System
Tutorial for Avira Rescue CD
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

Seems AVIRA won't let me download it's program. I tried two different computers, two different disks and one dvd. Say's disk is un-writeable or incompatable. I some how got this thing to go into safe modes so I ran Norton 360 full scan, Spybot, MalwareBytes, full scan and Ad-Aware full scan paid version, Found no bugs. Once rebooted I couldn't get it to boot. I'm thinking this is a problem that's going to be a real problem. Do you think I should just start again for the beginning with WindowsXP with SP3? I have a startup disk by Microsoft for WindowsXP Pro. BTW, I cannot connect to the internet either and some programs won't respond to any command.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

It may be the quickest and surest solution.
Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech
Windows XP: Clean Install

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

==============================

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Since we don't know exactly which infections we're dealing with here, we should take some precautions before we attempt to move files from the infected machine. Run the following on your clean computer, and make sure you insert your flash drives at the prompt.
Download and Run FlashDisinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

#8 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

Thanks much for all the information. Luckily for me, I have backed up almost everything on my computer. Just some site on the net weren't backed up and I can live with that. One way or another, I'm going to rid myself of this A_ _ hole virus. Can't understand why people do these things. You'd think they could put their minds to better use. I'll go and do the procedure like you say. Again, thank for all the time. BTW, I know this is redundant but, there's got to be a way that I can donate to this site for all the help. You people spend time with us and running this site isn't money. Hiroshi

Thanks much for all the information. Luckily for me, I have backed up almost everything on my computer. Just some site on the net weren't backed up and I can live with that. One way or another, I'm going to rid myself of this A_ _ hole virus. Can't understand why people do these things. You'd think they could put their minds to better use. I'll go and do the procedure like you say. Again, thank for all the time. BTW, I know this is redundant but, there's got to be a way that I can donate to this site for all the help. You people spend time with us and running this site takes money. Hiroshi

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the offer... I do not accept donations nor does BC.. But I will recommend these if you'd like to contribute to something that would be very much appreciated..
Make a donation to some people here that would appreciate it. They help or developed some of the tools we use here to clean computers.

Look them up in the MEMBERS tab at the top right.
fireman4it
jpshortstuff
random/random
Old Timer
teacup61
JSntgRvr
a_d_13
m0le
Blender
Thunder
myrti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users