Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bowserthedog

bowserthedog

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hello
I am running windows XP sp3 on a four year old desktop.
About a year and a half ago this problem started as a result of many attempts to repair install windows because of a horrible virus.
I don't remember if there was an error in this particular installation or if I stopped it half way through because i realized it wasn't a proper repair install and i feared losing data.
Anyways it was stopped halfway through. After that, though, it has always been an option to boot into windows setup instead of xp (on the screen that gives you two seconds to choose OS. THe minor problem with this is that setup is the default option and if I don't press a key at the right time it goes into setup only to fail within 15 seconds because I don't have the installation disc in. Then I have to restart and hope that within that two seconds I press a key.
I have lived with this problem since then, and it wasn't THAT bad. This is until I used combofix to repair some things wrecked by a virus. IT added a recovery console to this list, which isn't even so bad except for now it only gives me like less than one second to choose before it selects XP setup.

If anyone can tell me how to set the default action to select windows xp instead of setup or how to remove setup from that list altogether. Note that I can't finish the setup because I will lose all of my data installing using that particular method.

EDIT: I found the solution, but I would like to leave this in case others need it.
Solution: Right click my computer. Click Advanced. Under Startup and Recovery, click settings. Now you can decide default action and time to display options quite easily.

Edited by bowserthedog, 23 April 2011 - 12:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

I would edit the boot.ini file, removing any reference to setup (if any).

Take a look at your boot.ini file (using Explorer), open it by double-clicking on it...copy and paste the content into your next post.

Louis

#3 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

I would edit the boot.ini file, removing any reference to setup (if any).

Take a look at your boot.ini file (using Explorer), open it by double-clicking on it...copy and paste the content into your next post.

Louis

I have edited my first post with the solution. Very similar to yours except no manual editing is necessary.
Thanks for your help though.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

Very nice self-help :), thanks for posting your solution.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users