Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop turns on but will not start up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 firstlady

firstlady

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hello everyone, I'm a new user. My problem started when turning on my computer today, it indicates that it is turned on but does not start up. The keyboard flashes as in sleep mode. I have a HP Touchsmart, 32/64 bit computer with Vista operating system. The laptop is about two and half years old. I've read many similar complaints from various web-sites. What really hit home was there seems to be a start-up trojan that attacks the startup system of a computer. During my last start up (last night), my computer prompted for a download permission (which is unusual) but in a hurry, I allowed it. I turned off the computer properly when last used. Today the keyboard flashes as in sleep mode, in the past all I had to do was press enter or touch the touch-pad. I have a completely blank screen as if the computer is not on. I've turned the the computer off and on more than several times and nothing. However, as I previously stated, the keyboard flashes as in sleep mode. If I've download a virus, can I fix this myself? I've also read the HP, Geek Squad horror stories about fixes that don't work and you spend a lot of money. I am currently working with a very personal and important situation online which deals with my well-being/safety. I really need this computer. I am using a very old desk top computer for this session. Is there any advise for this situation?

Edited by firstlady, 23 April 2011 - 11:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

Use the factory recovery method to re-install Windows as it was when the laptop was new.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00809678&product=18703

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users