Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Professional On Two Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

:thumbsup: Hello again everyone and a very happy new year too you all.
Right, down to my question.
I have aquired a further computer which has installed on it Windows XP professional. So far, so good. I have done all the necessay to it thats required to make it usable and bug free.

Now the thing is, this computer use to be networked in an office enviroment and therefore only has a very small C Drive, ie 1.5 Gigabyte which with all the programs on leaves only ,well a very little space. However, a second hard drive has been added by the previous owner amounting too a further 2 Gigabytes and defined as drive D. On this drive they have installed the full Microsoft Office suit, leaving some 1.5 Gigabye free.
My question is, can anything be done to remove these two small hard drives and install a larger one, say 40 Gigabyte to accomodate all the applications but still retain the XP professional status ?

I do not have the original XP professional discs. :flowers:

Best Wishes.

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

In your position I'd do this:

1. Keep the tiny"system drive" C:\ as is.
2. Remove the D:\ , and expect to lose the MS suite.
3. Buy a name brand HD, ATA 133 80gb for instance.
3a. Seagate, Maxtor, or Western Digital ...
4. Buy it retail (on sale, about 50.00 or so) so I get instruction manual, new IDE cable & a CD with a utility disk to help install it.
5. I'd read the instructions, and inspect the jumper pins on both the new one & old one.
6. Position those jump pins correctly.
7. Use the new IDE cable.
8. Present C:\ as master
9. New big D:\ as slave.
10. Start the PC after confirming jumps and cable connections, then run the utility to format the new D:\ as "storage" (non-system) Fat32 or preferably NTFS file system. (those are your choices)
11. I'd then create a new folder on the D:\ called D:\Program Files
12. I'd install all new programs to that folder
13. Any programs other than winXP programs I would use the add/remove programs to uninstall
14. I'd download new programs, including Open Office 2.0 to replace the MS Office Suite with a comparable one.
15. From now on all installations would be done choosing the non-default program files folder. On the D:\

I'd find the OS installed now might choose to call the new drive E, or something. No big deal.
If for some reason the system drive is in FAT32, I might do the same to the new drive, for consistancy. I doubt it is though. Otherwise, I'd expect good performance this way, having done so in the past.
I might partition the new drive in this way:

partition 1, 10 gb (and this would be basically program files)
partition 2, 70gb (and this would be for large files, like music & video/pictures

Net result would be a much more useable PC, no compromise in data transfer speed from original, but a lot more space to store files. The defrag of the system drive will be fast. Same of the program files partition.

The PC will show 3 HDs in this way. ie: C:\ D:\ E:\

Should work. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:14 PM

:thumbsup:
Many many thanks, I followed your advise and carried out your suggestions. Excellent.

Thanks again.

Tony.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users