Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, from Indiana

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kjbrand

kjbrand

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

I have valued the contributions of BleepingComputer for several months - but the events of the past days motivated me to get more involved.

I own a computer service company in Indianapolis: Computer Experts. We serve a few hundred small businesses and individuals. I'm 57, a veteran of PCs since 8 bit micros.

A large law firm called yesterday with a request for help getting rid of QakBot on 50 or so PCs. They were running Symantec Edge Protection. This bug must have changed a lot over the months because all the desktops I checked had current defs and were still nailed. This firm has multiple offices across the country, a competent IT staff (I suppose) and STILL got ravaged...to the point that they shut off the Internet for every office for two days.

We in the IT community appear to have lost this war in the eyes of our customers. They are defenseless despite our best efforts, high salaries and skill. At some point I expect the PC user community to just give up and go back to typewriters - one employee of the firm I worked at yesterday she wouldn't trust them either...she's going back to pencils.

What are we to do?

Will virtual PCs help? I've heard that we can just deliver a known-good image to the desktop and start over. With hosted e-mail and critical files protected on servers (I invented the FileSafe Server,) the poor user could at least get back to work in a few hours - if not minutes.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer (despite my name, I am a male ;) but I'd really like to be ahead of this bus instead of under it :)

Any suggestions/best practices you can offer would be most appreciated. Please feel free to communicate with me directly at: Kim@Removed to protect from spambots. ~ OB

Thanks,

Kim

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 April 2011 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users