Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Not Loading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yartac

Yartac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 04:11 PM

Ok, I find myself in a bit of a predictament here so I'm going to go back over every detail I can possibly think of.

Few days ago I attempted to install a new graphics card and realized in my moment of stupidity I didn't order a AGP. Anyway, took that time with my case off to go ahead and give the inside of my PC a good air spray out due to a MASSIVE build up of dust. I reconnect my PC's wiring and it loads up just fine. I spend that night doing my usual amount of gaming then shut down my PC for the night. The next morning my wife attempts to start our PC and upon the Window's load screen, the bar would lock up and would stop loading.

We then attempt to restart in safe mode but find now at the very same moment my keyboard suddenly dies, so I have to run and find a different board and it works. Anyway, moving on, I finally get the option for safe mode and this time I can select it with the new keyboard. And there, everything loads just fine. I attempt a system restore from a few weeks ago. And that still won't let me load Windows without safemode.

Finally, I give up, I whipe my hard drive figuring since it's loading into safe mode and not windows there's gotta be some kind of error or virus, as I had admitting this publically, but my virus proctection might not have been up to par.

Whipe goes fine, I watch my work vanish, nothing I can redo again. I'm given the familiar "Name your computer and are you on a network" screen with starting Windows again, and everything goes fine. I don't register, and go on. It then goes into the Windows load thing, green bar, yadda, "loading windows" kind of thing, and upon the ending of that, black screen with a frozen cursor.

I die.

Ok, safemode it again, yes, everything's been wiped. Ok, perhaps the video card I installed the drivers aren't there. I check my Geforce 440mx. Says no new drivers would improve, seems to still have drivers or something, anyway, that don't appear to be the problem. I restart, and it goes right back to locking up JUST as it did before the whipe.

So I sit here, whiped hard drive and no running PC pleading to the masses from my brother's PC. ANY idea on what I should do. I welcome something simple no mater how dumb it makes it look.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:02 PM

Sorry I wasn't sure from your post, is the new video card currently in the machine or is it still your old video card? If you put the new card into the machine and started having problems I would take it out and try your old card to see if the machine will boot properly. If it boots fine with your old video card that will help to diagnose the problem.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:24 AM

During setup, XP creates log files detailing what happened. If you're able to access these files, it'll help us in determining what's gone wrong with the installation. Here's a list of them:

* Setupact.log - This log file contains all the actions performed during setup in chronological order. It is stored in the %systemroot% folder.
* Setuperr.log - This log file lists any errors that occurred during setup along with the severity of the error. It is stored in the %systemroot% folder.
* Comsetup.log - This log file provides information about the installation of Optional Component Manager and COM+ components. It is stored in the %systemroot% folder.
* Setupapi.log - This log file provides information about .inf files. It is stored in the %systemroot% folder.
* Netsetup.log - This log file lists the actions perform while joining the computer to a workgroup or domain. It is stored in the %systemroot%\debug folder.
* Setup.log - The information contained within this log file is used by the Recovery Console. It is stored in the %systemroot%\repair.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 TCW

TCW

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:32 AM

Alright well, I have a very similar problem.

My friend wanted to reformat his computer, but he'd never done it before, so I decided to walk him through it.

We backed up his stuff, and popped the WinXP Home disc in, formatted the HDD, and installed Windows. Everything went smoothly.

Finished the whole customization (Name, Organization, Time Zone, Keyboard Setup, etc), and computer reboots as it is supposed to.

However, at the Windows loading screen, where the bars travel from left to right, 3 of them, (Green in this version, XP Home), the bars suddenly stop, and lock up. (With a different video card, rather than locking up, the screen goes blank and hangs there, but I'm going to stick with the one that at least keeps video for now, worry about the other problem later).

In any event, boot in Safe Mode works. Safe Mode + Networking, or Safe Mode + Command Prompt don't.

Ok... did a fresh reformat again... what do I look for in those logs? They're pretty long.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:52 AM

This one is probably the most important to you: Setuperr.log

I haven't seen any recently (the one on my system is empty) - but I'd presume that they're in sequence. So, I'd start looking for the first error that appeared and then we can work from there (presumably the first error caused the most, if not all of the subsequent errors).

Maybe you could copy and paste a few of the suspect errors so we'd have some more info?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users