Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Installation Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

I have a custom built computer that I have had for 5 years. I originally installed Windows XP on the system. Upgraded to a system builders version of Vista Ultimate.

Last week I had power outage that resulted in my motherboard being fried. I have ordered a new motherboard, processor, fan, and ram. I have three hard drives that were unaffected by the power surge (didn't even hurt the power surger protector I had (2).

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I used a system bilders version of Vista Ultimate that was tied to the motherboard. I know I can't use the Vista Ultimate as there is a new motherboard.

I do have a OEM copy of Vista Home Premium that I am no longer using that was installed on my DELL XPS laptop. I have since upgraded the Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 home premium on the Dell.

Since I am not using the Vista Home Premium (Dell) anymore, is there any reason that I can't "legally" use this version on a clean installation of my custom built computer. I would think that since I am not using it anymore that I should be able to use it on my new machine.

Then--Once I get my Dell's copy OEM version of Vista Home Premium installed and activated, can I do an install of the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade that I have purchased. Again, the laptop that had the Windows 7 (Dell XPS) is no longer being used.

I could live with the Vista if need be. Please advise.

Thanks for any and all input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Myrkr

Myrkr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi.

Upgrade versions of software are add ons to the original licence. Means you're not permitted to install the original software on one machine, apply a legally-purchased upgrade, then install and use the original software on another machine.

However, your use of the original software on the second machine is intended as a work around, right? You own a legal copy of an OS but can't install it and use it as a springboard into the upgrade. Personally, I don't see a problem. But to avoid confusion, activate only after the Windows 7 Home premium is installed.

I'm not saying this usage is strictly legal, though, but I doubt MS would have an issue with it. So long as you wind up with a legally purchased set of O/Ss for each computer you're running. "Set" means original O/S plus upgrade per machine.

HTH

Edited by Myrkr, 23 April 2011 - 09:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users