Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 network connection issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cinderbird

cinderbird

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

I have a Dell inspiron mini tower that had some apparently critical either net driver deleted. I'm not entirely sure which driver it was or how to get it back. I've tried downloading a few drivers on another machine and then just transferring them to the bad one but it's not working (3 separate ones now). It was working perfectly before this "thing" was accidentally uninstalled.

Device manager gives me a ! next to Ethernet Controller

Any advice on how to diagnose and ultimately fix the problem? It would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by cinderbird, 22 April 2011 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:21 AM

There should be a sticker somewhere on your Dell that lists the Service Tag #. If you go to the Dell site and enter that Service Tag, it will list what components you have and which drivers you need. You should be able to find the correct driver that way.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

Here's the link. :)

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 cinderbird

cinderbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

There should be a sticker somewhere on your Dell that lists the Service Tag #. If you go to the Dell site and enter that Service Tag, it will list what components you have and which drivers you need. You should be able to find the correct driver that way.

Here's the link. :)

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Thanks!

I actually ran through the drivers and reinstalled them both twice.. Unfortunately the problem still hasn't been fixed. I did end up calling Dell and being on the phone with them for an hour and a half. Their verdict is that the drive is beginning to fail because it refuses to write the driver properly, even after uninstalling it and rebooting twice. Since its still under warranty they're sending someone out to replace the drive. Has anyone else had this happen before?

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Their verdict is that the drive is beginning to fail because it refuses to write the driver properly

Without knowing how they came to this conclusion, I say that's total BS. Just because they work for Dell doesn't mean they know what they're doing... :whistle: Trust me, I have to work with support reps on an almost weekly basis where I work.

Did they even have you run a hard drive diagnostic? Having a driver issue with a network adapter would not point to a failing hard drive, if you ask me (without tests to confirm it, anyway). Don't take their word for it.

I would investigate further before I let a "technician" touch my computer. <_<

Besides, even if the drive does need replacing, you can do that yourself. It's really simple.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 23 April 2011 - 09:28 AM.

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

That does sound like a strange diagnosis but since it's under warranty I would let them worry about it.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

Back up all your important data to a removable media, like DVDs, CDs, flash drive, external hdd. Pictures, videos, e-mail and addresses, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Back up all your important data to a removable media, like DVDs, CDs, flash drive, external hdd. Pictures, videos, e-mail and addresses, etc.

+1 :thumbup2:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 23 April 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#9 cinderbird

cinderbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Their verdict is that the drive is beginning to fail because it refuses to write the driver properly

Without knowing how they came to this conclusion, I say that's total BS. Just because they work for Dell doesn't mean they know what they're doing... :whistle: Trust me, I have to work with support reps on an almost weekly basis where I work.

Did they even have you run a hard drive diagnostic? Having a driver issue with a network adapter would not point to a failing hard drive, if you ask me (without tests to confirm it, anyway). Don't take their word for it.

I would investigate further before I let a "technician" touch my computer. <_<

Besides, even if the drive does need replacing, you can do that yourself. It's really simple.

I was going to ask how a removed driver could entirely axe a hard drive, but he's been having an issue with the drive for a little while anyway, the replacement is actually a better thing than it sounds like. But it was past 2am and I had to get up for work, i was done dealing with the guy, lol.

He did have me run the quick network diagnosis, the 5-7 minute one and after that came back with nothing he went and spoke to a supervisor about what to do. My guess is that it actually costs them more to pay tech to talk to me than it would cost them just to have someone stick a new drive in it.

That does sound like a strange diagnosis but since it's under warranty I would let them worry about it.

Yeah, that was my thought lol.

We're already on it!

+1 :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users