Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorites/favorites????

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

hi,
could anybody help me with the following issue: ie8 and now upgraded to 9 on a toshiba laptop running vista sp2 the favorites dont appear, and when i go to organise favorites its says "users\username\favorites\favorites" refers to a location that is unavailable. If i browse to favs etc there is all my favs, so i made a folder inside favorites called favorites and moved my list into it to satisfy the above message, and presto chango my favorites magically appear, i would appreciate any help to understand what is going on here, and maybe putting it back to normal guys, as always thanks in advance.

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hi man in black. It may not be the answer to your problem, but IE 9 shows favourites, history, feeds in a different place. It is now in the upper right hand corner. It appears as a star. After opening you can pin the favourites to the normal left hand side (green arrow. Hope this helps. Regards Tad

#3 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:59 AM

Yep your right its not the answer mate, unfortunately neither of the star or the favorites menu showed them until i moved them from C:\Users\UserName\Favorites to the location C:\Users\UserName\Favorites\Favorites, for some reason both ie 9 and ie8 think that the latter is the location that the favorites are in, id like to know why and how to move them back up a folder level to the location they should be in C:\Users\UserName\Favorites (and originally were in). So to clarify this issue came up in ie8 and to fix it i upgraded to ie9, to find no change. Thanks for your help champ.

Regards,
Phil

#4 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:06 PM

Man !n Black

Sorry for the confusion. P C Clinic suggests the following:

"As long as you use Windows Explorer to move the Favorites folder, Windows will update the internal fields that identify it. Suppose the current Favorites folder is C:\Windows\Favorites. Right-drag this folder to the location you want to use instead, and choose Move here from the menu that pops up when you drop the folder.

Otherwise you can edit the registry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. In the right-hand pane, the value named Favorites should contain the full path for the Favorites folder. Double-click it and change it to the correct location."

Hope this helps.

Regards Tad

#5 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Great work thanks Tad Bear, the reg key sounds like the go, i was hoping someone would be able to point it out for me as i couldn't find the right info on google, lappie is at a friends house will post result asap, once again thanks man, Man1nBlack

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 24 April 2011 - 08:22 PM.

Regards,
Phil

#6 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

Well sorry its taken so long but the results are in and yep the reg key works a treat, in this particular instance when i arrived at the reg key it pointed to music\favorites, which i thought was odd and indeed the favorites were mimicked in the music directory, so after changing the key and rebooting i then moved the favorites list to the appropriate location and they show perfectly in ie, there is a catch however, now i have 2 identical folders in the username location both called favorites and if i dare delete one of them my favs dissapear to the recycle bin, strange but at least we have them in the correct folder location, even if there is 2 of them . . . Thanks again TadBear great job man!

Regards,
Phil

#7 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

Man 1n Black

That's great news. I am a function over form man, so like to get it working, then pretty it up if possible.
It's a shame there is nothing in IE like mozilla's mozbackup, where you can store all your settings in your browser and email clients.

I am very pleased to have helped. This is such a wonderful forum.

Regards Tad.

#8 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

Yep you're right Tad this is a great place, mainly because of its attitude towards members, i have read posts where the person responding noticed it had taken a while to respond to this particular question and he made the point that a: he was sorry it took so long (a very good start) and b: he made a big point of saying that no one gets ignored here, which i think is brilliant and extremely important, especially for non tech people who would be scared to even ask a question on a big forum such as this.

Long Live Bleeping Computer.

The Gunslinger rode into the desert. and the Man in Black followed . . .

Regards,
Phil

#9 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Man 1n Black

re my last post concerning mozbackup. Good old google found a program called backrex at www.backsettings.com
This may be of assistance to you, if you did want to start experimenting with removimg one of you favortes.

Regards Tad

#10 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Ya know what Tad, i'm gonna look into as soon as i can, i can't stand unsolved issues, cheers mate.

Regards,
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users