Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Wireless Networks Within Range

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:04 PM

I just installed windows XP on my toshiba 2515CDS, which has a Microsoft MN-720 Wireless Notebook Adapter. I installed it and it works, but it won't detect any wireless networks. I even took it right next to the router. I know the router works because my desktop uses a wireless card, too, and it works fine.

Anyone know how I culd get it working again? Especially if there's something in services.msc that I might have stopped.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

Check that wireless networking is enabled on the computer that wont connect and be sure it is configured. Both comps have to be enabled and configured.

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, its enabled cuz it's looking for networks, though I do see an improvement. It now at least tells me that there are no networks (before ti would say there were, then not display any in the view available wireless networks window.

I just noticed that it displays the network card as a removable device (PCMCIA), but it didn't before when I had XP, or 98 for that matter. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, though.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:45 AM

I'd uninstall it, delete it from device manager, remove it from the PC slot then reboot and install it again.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

I think I did that before, but I'll try it again.

EDIT 1: Hmm... Windows says, "It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation." It did uninstall it, though. It disappeared from the Device manager and the lights on it turned off.

EDIT 2: Scanned for hardware, installed it, and uninstalled it again with no error. Shutting down now...

EDIT 3: Finished with what you said, and I still get the same false networks in range message. I'm gonna be away for a few days, so I'll check back when I get back.

Edited by Lanscader, 01 January 2006 - 02:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users