Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Itunes/quicktime from being default media

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chevelle67

chevelle67

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Bleeping computers helped me get rid of a rootkit and in the end I was advised to update any programs that secunia directed. 2 updates were Itunes and Quicktime. Ever since then winpatrol constantly is pointing out that the are trying to get into startup and they are competing with windows media player for the default. I want WMP as the default. I go to control panel/add programs/set program access and defaults/custom/windows media player as default. When I go out and then go back in the designation changes to "use my current media player". If I never use Itunes it would be OK, but if Itunes is used the default now becomes Itunes. How can I keep WMP as the default player and how can I prevent Itunes and Quicktime from trying to invade startup. Chevelle67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

Bump

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Generally (I don't use either iTunes or Quicktime)...when you install it, choose the custom install option, rather than the default. The custom option allows you to review/accept/reject such thing as what programs it will be the default program for.

It's fairly common practice for any installed player to make itself the default player when users don't elect a custom install.

Louis

#4 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:06 PM

Thank you for your feed back. I uninstalled and reinstalled and unchecked the default box and WMP seems to consistantly be my player. The other problem I posted was that ITunes and Quick time always try to get into my startup according to WinPatrol. I will watch this and see if it continues. Chevelle67

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users