Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 devices (HD and DVD drive) suddenly disappeared (Asus P8P67 B2)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PODxt

PODxt

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi,

While I was working with 2 of my drives (SSD (system) and one other HD), both connected to the Intel SATA6 ports, 2 other hard drives disappeared. Some folders from one of these drives were open and suddenly closed. That's how I noticed both of these devices were missing. Coincidently, the devices that disappeared are both connected to the Marvell SATA6 ports.

I checked in the disk manager and there is no mention of my hard drive and DVD drive at all. Did I miss something, like some "feature" that would turn off or disconnect those devices from the Marvell ports? Or is this some kind of bug?

All my devices are in IDE, not AHCI.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Does a system restart bring the drives back?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

I don't know (haven't restarted the computer yet), but even if a restart brings back my drives, I wouldn't like them to disappear again while I'm recording (so while data is written on disk) as this is my audio workstation. That's why I'm trying to understand why and how it happened.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

The windows error reporting in Event Viewer may provide a clue, sometimes things do hic-cup and drives disappear, normally a restart fixes issues like this, if the problem keeps resurfacing then you have reason to suspect something needs fixing.

When you can, try a system restart, if the results are the same, then we will look for a possible fix.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

I restarted the computer and my devices reappeared. I'm quite sure it's somehow related to the Marvell ports as the drives that disappeared were connected to those ports. There is no mention of this in the event viewer logs.

Damn I really hate not knowing, because I can't prevent this to happen again at a more critical time, like during a recording session.

Edited by PODxt, 22 April 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

I would check the connections for slippage.

Louis

#7 PODxt

PODxt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

What's "slippage"? Like "badly connected" to the ports?
Sorry English is not my mother tongue and a dictionnary didn't help.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

To be more specific, recheck that the card is fully seated into its slot, removing any expansion card and returning to its slot can some times correct faulty connections, which can be caused by oxidation or a loose connection.

Besides doing that, try reconnecting any data wires\ribbon wires that connect drives to expansion cards or the motherboard.

The reason for doing this is to reassure that the issue is not being caused by a faulty or loose connection.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users