Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major XP Freezing problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chriswin4

Chriswin4

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

Good Evening guys, i am wondering if anybody can help me as i have been having trouble with windows xp for a number of days now. On monday i uninstalled and reinstalled a program called Hamachi, after a night spent playing football manager i turned my computer off using the power button because i was in a hurry, come tuesday morning when i try to use the computer it switches on as normal and at the user login screen my mouse wouldnt move. I then tried it again and managed to logon and within two minutes my mouse had frozen again and i had no choice but to turn the pc off using the power button. Since then i have tried stopping Hamachi running on startup, i have done a Malwarebyte scan and no infections were found, i have tried running in safe mode which works fine but isnt ideal because hardly any programs can be run. I have tried a system restore to sunday evening but that has made no difference. I have even tried making a new user account but that has the same problem. Sometimes i get as far as opening a program and then it freezes. I have no idea what could have caused this problem and would greatly appreciate any help anybody could give me.

Thank you

Chris :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Can anybody help me please??

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

Let's start with the easiest. Please boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

<<I have no idea what could have caused this problem...>>

Your hard shutdown probably caused it, damaging some key system files.

As a first step...I suggest trying to run the chkdsk /r oommand. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (exactly as shown) and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

If you have a MS Genuine XP CD...you can run the chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console.

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-Corruption&id=817785

Louis

#5 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

should i run chkdisk in safe mode

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

You don't run it in any mode...it runs while the Windows partition is inactive, triggered by the reboot.

If you have the XP, run it from the Recovery Console.

If the system boots normally, run it using the Start/Run sequence.

If you can only boot into safe mode...start it from safe mode.

Louis

#7 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

Ive finished chkdsk and the freezing is still occuring,

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

EXACTLY how did you run checkdisk please? And what did the screen say when it finished?

#9 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

I ran it using the start run and then the command, chkdsk /r but i missed what it said at the end of the chkdsk because i went out, should i do it again xD

#10 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

Right i have re done chkdsk, and it said nothing is wrong and i am still getting this problem, any more ideas gents??

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

Since everything is good in safe mode, I suggest the following:
Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming process, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#12 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:36 AM

Right i will try that in a moment, thank you my friend

#13 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

I unchecked all items and still i got the problem :s???

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Well, then either something is corrupt with the OS or there is a hardware issue. I'm guessing the former since safe mode works fine. The only other suggestion I can think of is a repair install followed by updating your video & sound card drivers. Instructions are below. One other thing you can do before the repair is checking event viewer for any significant errors.

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option. Done properly, all apps and preferences will remain intact. You'll have to go to Windows Update and re-download / install all updates after the installation is complete. Here's a detailed walk-through: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#15 Chriswin4

Chriswin4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

However my friend, i have gone onto msconfig and unchecked everything in startup and the other one beginning with s and the computer is working fine, is it just trial and error now to find which is the bad one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users