Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pml Driver Hpz12

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 plainNsimple

plainNsimple

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:28 PM

Hi
I'm new, and new at computers. I have a program called "Scotty the Windows Watchdog" (Win Patrol), and he 'barks' to warn me if something got installed without me knowing about it, and then asks me if it's ok. But, since I'm new at computers, I don't know if it is ok to be there, or what this is for,
Here is what he is barking at:

"A new window services has been installed." PML Driver HPZ 12

Thank you in advance, and Scotty can be found here.

http://www.winpatrol.com/
Scotty the Windows Watch Dog sniff's out Worms, Trojan horses, Cookies, Adware Spyware, and other malicious programs that may attack your computer. Win Patrol uses a heuristic approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. Traditional security programs scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. Win Patrol takes a snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You'll be removing dangerous new programs while others download new reference files. With Scotty on Patrol, you'll find yourself informed on what's going on inside your computer. Win Patrol puts you back in control of your computer so you'll know what programs are and should be running at all times. Scotty lets you confirm any new programs set up to run on your computer and you can customize his sound alerts. (End quote)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

plainNsimple:

Sounds like it is related to a HP printer.

See the entry below:
pml driver hpz12

Do you have a HP Printer?

Edited by Joshuacat, 31 December 2005 - 03:08 PM.

JC

#3 plainNsimple

plainNsimple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

Thank you so much! Yes, I have a HP All In One printer.
I went to the entry you gave me and all is well,, isn't it?

On second thought, it say's, " Used by HP Printer/Scanner/Copier printers to prevent Windows from entering hibernation mode" Is it supposed to hibernate?

Happy New Year !

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

I am not sure if our entry is 100% accurate. It is used by HP devices, but I am not convinced of the hibernation reference...

Here's another explanation of that service from http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_h.htm

HP PML Driver Service. Background task installed by the drivers for a variety of HP printers, ranging from the HP PSC 2100, 2200, 4100, and 6100 series of multifunction printers, to DeskJet 6600 and 6800 series, PhotoSmart series, All‑in‑One OfficeJets, etc... This task handles non‑printing related two-way communications between the PC and the HP printer. Typically, on DeskJet and InkJet printers it will handle status-type communications such as ink levels, paper‑empty conditions, etc..., and will feed that information back to an HP icon in the System Tray. In the case of more advanced printers, such as All‑in‑One printers or PhotoSmart printers, it handles additional non‑printing related communications such as scanning and photocopying events, access to the card reader, etc...

Recommendation :
Because of its role as, effectively, a printer status information gathering task, this task should be left running since, without it, you will not get useful information from the System Tray HP icon for your printer which will think the printer is disconnected. However, some versions of this task have been more than problematic, with serious conflicts with specific software packages (Sage Accounting with some versions of this task), or with “Unable to Start driver” errors on boot-up. If you experience problems with this task, first ensure that your firewall allows this task to communicate – if your firewall is preventing the task from talking to things external to the PC then this task will not work properly (Note: at the time of writing, 25‑Sep‑2005, the Windows XP and Norton Firewalls allow this task to communicate by default, so you should not need to configure them). Next, if you still have problems, see on our Drivers page if there are newer drivers for your printers which might correct the problem. If problems still remain after the above then disable this task on the Startups tab of The Ultimate Troubleshooter in Windows 98/ME, or, in Windows 2000/XP, locate it on the Services tab and set its Startup Mode to Disabled.
As Hewlett‑Packard themselves state : “Most if not all printing functions will work without it, and print quality and speed are not affected by this. However, other functions of the printer driver may be disabled. If a feature is noticed to be missing, the PML driver service can be manually started as described above. Remember to disable the PML driver service again before restarting the computer”.

JC

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

Just FYI - entering Hibernation mode automatically (with a print job printing) is probably not a good idea. And, since HP came up with a fix for it - I'd presume that it was a real problem on someone's system.

Hibernation is when you turn your computer off - but save everything in memory - so that when you turn it back on, everything is just the way that you left it.

You can see if you're able to Hibernate, by starting to shutdown your computer. When the screen that says "Turn Off" and "Restart" shows up, there should be another button on the left that says "Standby" (more about this later). If that button is there - press the "Shift" key on your keyboard, it should change the button to read Hibernate.

Standby is very similar to Hibernate - but it keeps a small part of your computer turned on in order to keep the memory alive until you come back. It's quicker than Hibernation, but if you have a power outage of any sort - you can lose your data fast! This is a good tool for a laptop since the battery can keep the trickle of current running all the time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 plainNsimple

plainNsimple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

Thank you Josh and Usama for your detailed explanation's in terms I can understand. I'm also learning that navigating thru a computer can get quite complicated and overwhelming to the point I conspired going into hibernation myself. (smile)

#7 plainNsimple

plainNsimple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

Opps, conspired? I meant considered. Sheesh, I believe I need to hibernate for a while. (2 more smiles)

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

plainNsimple: Feel free to post again if you have any other issues.

Take care,

:thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users